13

It had been weeks since I last saw him.I kept looking at him without blinking.It was as if the whole world stopped ,giving me ample time to gaze at him properly.I forgot where I was,what I was doing.My eyes kept taking him in.

  My heart started beating again.He brought it to life.  

If it was possible,if he had allowed it,I would have kept staring at him.All day,everyday just like that.That was his effect on me.

It seemed as if my body had forgotten the fear he incited. Because I couldn't look away even when he was glaring at me.Who knows when I'll get to see him again.I was ready to take any punishment for this small reprieve.His eyes narrowed again.His brows dipping lower.

"Zairi..?You haven't forgotten I am here as well.?!" A chuckle from Granna had me looking away embarrassed, breaking my intent perusal of him.

"Why didn't you tell me that Aeran was back.?" Granna inquired.

What should have I told you Granna.?I got to know it now as well that he was back.I didn't even knew ,back from where.? 

But I kept my mouth shut and eyes down.

Silence ensued.I looked up at Granna to find her studying me.After reaching some conclusion she nodded to herself and continued "Zairi,I am going to my sister's place.She is not well.I have to be there.Will you be alright here.?Or do you want to accompany me.?"

Granna is going away.Would it be the best choice to stay here when I knew that everyone tolerated me just because of her.Or should I just go with her..?

No,I won't run. Granna won't be around always.I felt like I was making some  progress in gaining their acceptance. I had a routine ,I have to keep following it.They have started expecting me,seeing me in their house,if only to insult me.But more members know me now.If I go somewhere they'll forget me and it will be difficult to claim my place again.As it is I was invisible to them.I cannot risk it.

"I'll be fine here,Granna."I said after giving it a thought.Staying over will be more than bearable for me."When will you be back.?"

"It will take at least 2-3 days for me to return back.Will you really be fine here by yourself.?"

She asked again,concerned.

I nodded my head and smiled to ensure her."Yes,Granna."

"Okay then, its decided."

"Granna,was that all.?Can I leave.?" A rich deep voice asked. Aeran knelt down by Granna's side and smiled adoringly at her.He really loved her.

Granna patted his cheek ,crinkling her eyes."No time for this old lady,hunh..?You are quite busy nowadays.Its OK. You got a wife and everything." His smile disappeared at the wife comment. Finding his stiff form ,Granna's hand sifted through his hair pulling it a bit playfully.

He grinned wickedly "Are you getting jealous Granna.?" 

Granna harrumphed loudly ""Boy you can never make me jealous.I know you'll just crawl back to me by the end of the day."

"That's right.You are my number 1 girlfriend.You are the best Granna." He kissed her hand and laid it down on her lap.

I smiled witnessing such beautiful scene. Aeran really loved and adored his grandmother enough, to even marry someone like me.

"Stop flattering me now boy.It never works with me."

"Oh yeah.Why do I see red apple of your cheeks then.?"

Swatting him on head she laughed"Go about your work."

Standing up he kissed her hair and passed by me looking  straight ahead.

The click of the door announced his departure and I turned to Granna."Can I take my leave as well.

"Come here."I went and took Aeran's position by her knees."I am so glad to have you here.You are a brave and kind girl .One day they'll all notice it and regret the time they couldn't spend it in your company.Go now.Don't make me cry here."

I nodded my head gratefully at her and went out.

I reached the sanctuary of my room without getting another glimpse of Aeran.

The glass pieces were still where I left them.I went to work again and cleared the disaster as much as I could.

What is the meaning of this..?How did this happen.?

The questions remained but no answer could satisfy.Giving up I wandered to my window.

The next day I woke up early to say goodbye to Granna.

Everyone was already outside helping Granna load her suitcase and saying their farewell.I stayed back not to disrupt them. Granna found me standing at the backside of the door peering at her.She smiled and motioned me to come out.I went the few steps amidst the others much to their displeasure.

"Take good care of yourself. I don't want to come back to find you unwell.You hear me." Granna instructed.I nodded my head smiling."Alright.You take care of yourself too, Granna."

With that she proceeded to the open car door and slid inside slowly with the help of Aeran who kept her hand in his.

The car rode away and I waved to Granna.

"Now we'll see who'll protect you." Ravine seethed beside me and walked the few steps to Aeran. Slipping her hand in his, she kissed him on the cheek and laid her head on his shoulder. Aeran gripped her hand tightly.

"Come inside children.I made breakfast.Its been long we all sat together without any unwanted guests.Hurry now." Sarah called out to the couple standing before me and turned back to head inside.

"I don't need to inform "the thing" to not come. Do I Sarah..?"Leann asked innocently gaining Rave's chuckle."Come on Mom,she's not dumb.Or is she..?" He moved closer to me.I took a step back instinctively.He raised his eyebrow.

"Rave,don't touch "that" now. Aeran, Ravine,you two come inside as well.That thing's evil eye is on you.You can never be too sure to know what's up her sleeve."

"Such a creep." Ravine pulled Aeran's hand to drag him inside.Rave passed by me whispering "Well I'll enjoy finding If she really is dumb or not.?" I jerked back.His eyes were looking up and down at me. Sneering he followed the others.

He really made me feel  very uncomfortable.There was something evil in his eyes.I never want to be left alone with him.

I have to stay clear of him in future.