17

I spent the whole day not venturing out from my room.I didn't want to risk running into him again.

As the evening arrived I finally found the strength to come out and I blame it all on my hunger,I hadn't eaten anything the whole day. Aiinata hadn't come all day as well.Something is wrong.I decided  to go and check it out myself. 

I went down the stairs slowly keeping a lookout for anything or anyone unusual.I crossed the living room to the kitchen and started searching for something to cook.The cupboards were full with food items.I quickly took what I wanted and made a sandwich.After satisfying my hunger I gathered all my courage and decided to face the inevitable.

Just then the door was flung open and Aiinata stood there huffing."Zairi come fast. Granna has returned.She's asking for you." I looked at her excited face and smiled.Then the smile dimmed."Don't worry I haven't told her anything.Come now."

Without waiting she ran out.Following her I crossed the forest to halt at the sight of the pack house.Every one was outside helping unload the car with Granna's bags.Ravine stood and offered her hand to Granna to help her. Granna looked at her hard and pointedly ignored the offered help.The smile on Ravine's face dimmed.The smile turned to a scowl and she made her way inside ungraciously. 

Aeran grabbed Granna's shoulders and supported her weight.

"Where is  Zairi..?Aeran where is she..?Why isn't she here.?" I heard Granna talking to Aeran who muttered "Granna,get inside first.She'll be here soon. OK.?" He helped her up the steps.

The gloom that surrounded the house for the last few days evaporated just like that.As if her presence itself lighted the world around her.

I ran not caring about anything ,avoiding the gaping mouth of Leann.

"Granna..!!" I exclaimed loudly and reached her side.

"Zairi." She turned leaving Aeran's one -sided embrace and hugged me tightly, sagging in relief at finding me well.I smiled and wrapped my arms around her."I missed you child.How have you been..?"

I opened my mouth to assure her of my well being. Aeran interrupted the happy reunion in a stiff voice "Granna lets go inside first.You can talk to her later."

I stopped short at the reminder that he was standing just on another side of Granna.

Involuntarily my eyes fell to the ground.I tried controlling my response to him but failed.Pinching my hand hard I focused all my thoughts on the pain rather than giving into the trembling that was slowly pervading my body and mind.

"Yes,yes my child."She hobbled the few steps up not letting go of my hand.I halted at the top step just outside the door still fearing the warning I had received from Aeran.Seeing my pause Granna turned "Zairi what is it..?"

I kept my gaze on my feet.I shook my head slightly ."N-nothing Granna."

"Then why did you stop moving..?"

I gulped.What should I do now..?I cannot disobey the direct order from the future Alpha..?Can I..?

A sudden body heat surrounded me and I looked up startled to gaze in hazel eyes.My eyes widened as he grabbed my wrist and pulled me inside gently without saying a word.My mouth gaped open at the tender display.I searched for some emotion on his face but he had already moved towards Granna to bring her inside.

I kept looking at him.He kept his eyes averted the whole time it took Granna to get inside her room ,engaged with Granna in small talk .He sure did have many sides to him.I touched my wrist lightly to feel his touch there.Just like that I forgot all about the fear he instigated in me and a new calm settled in my body.

I stood by the door as Aeran settled Granna in her bed.

"I am not that tired Aeran. Stop your fussing." She swatted his hands as he tried to lay her down the bed.

"Granna, it was a long trip.You have to rest or you'll fall ill." He argued back.

"I am not that old ,young man.Stop ordering me around.I want to talk to Zairi." Granna pointed at me standing near the door.

Aeran turned as well looking at my stiff figure.After the initial glimpse of his beautiful face I averted my eyes."She's not going anywhere.You'll find her right here when you get up."He said still turned my way.Returning his gaze back to Granna he claimed "Now you'll sleep.I won't hear another word.Please Granna."

"Hunh using your puppy eyes to make me sleep.Like father ,like son."Granna announced.

I startled when I heard a loud laughter behind me.I turned to find Alpha Zed standing there.Sidestepping the door I moved to the side.

"Its always helpful to have Aeran coerce you into doing anything.You don't listen ,Ma." Alpha Zed said gently tucking the covers around Granna.

"Shoo now.Let this old lady sleep." With that Granna settled to rest.

I quietly made my way out the room before they notice me.

Keeping my head down I walked slowly.As I was making my way out the gate Aeran's voice reached me.I ceased my movements but didn't turn around."Stop there."

I heard his rapid moving steps toward me.I waited with dread.What have I done now..? I flinched as he stopped beside me.He kept his gaze on me .After a moment or so he said mildly "You don't have to stay outside anymore." 

With that statement he passed me.His hand grazing mine slightly.I gasped and brought my hand near to my chest cradling it carefully.The heat from his slight touch was still there.My eyes moved from my hand to his departing form.Not understanding this new behavior of his.

I shrugged and without giving any other thought  I ran up to my old room.I smiled as I entered my room.I sighed happily.Finally back home.

No matter how much peace and rest I had in the log cabin,I would still prefer this room as my home.