29

I scrambled out the cushion and stood up on wobbly legs.

"What are you doing..?You'll hurt yourself." Pushing Dane aside frantically I hobbled to the door to rush out.I fell down in my haste.A shrill leaving my lips as my ankle twisted again.He called my name again but I was too lost in my worry to pay him heed..I sensed him following but I didn't stop .My ankle throbbed but I didn't stop as I slowly climbed down the stairs and jogged into the woods dragging my injured leg.There was smoke rising from the forest in the dying light of evening.

I stopped when I finally reached my garden The fire was gaining momentum.The semi darkness was chased by the brighter flames engulfing the leaves and the plants inside.The once quiet night was filling rapidly with the cacophony of noises.

I was astonished to find several people of the pack already standing there.They stared at the huge fire in wonder not doing anything to douse it.They just stood there laughing and crackling jokes as the flames licked the thorny bushes.Pointing their finger at the burning cackling sounds emanating as the once living beings caught the flames,turning them to dust.

I rushed through the throngs of people."Stop that.Please help me." I pleaded as I ran further."Why aren't you doing anything.??Please bring some water.Do something."

I searched around for anyone among the sea of unfamiliar faces to do something.

I was very well acquainted of their hatred towards me but even they cannot be cruel enough to inflict such pain on the innocent ones.The living plants inside.

When no one paid any mind to my cries for help or even registered my begging,I took the matters in my own hands.I wracked my brain to come up with a plan.But no thoughts arrived.I was blank.I couldn't think of anything.

Adrenaline pumped my veins.My heart started thumping wildly.And propelled by the sheer will of my soul I tried hard to save what belonged to me.I saw the water bucket I used for watering, lying a long distance away from where I usually kept it.Far away from it's original position.Not wasting another minute contemplating, I grabbed it and collided with Dane who stood there looking at me strangely.

"Dane.Go bring some water.We have to stop the fire." I shouted at him.He didn't move."Dane,What are you waiting for.,.?Go.Get some water." He looked at me as if I'd lost my mind.He was the mad one didn't he realize that.Not even willing to try.When he still didn't move I pushed him.Hitting his chest insisting him to make some movement instead of just standing there. Didn't he realize what's happening. It'll burn to ground.Everything inside will die.He just stood there with tears now glazing his eyes.

Frustrated ,I shoved him aside and started for the task myself.He grabbed my hand again.

"Leave me."I commanded and knew immediately when he suddenly gasped and let go ,that my eyes were shining red.Not giving it another thought I reached the main house and made my way straight to the kitchen much to Martha's annoyance.

"Hey where are you going..?Get out." She screeched.I didn't deter from my task and started filling the bucket.

Suddenly she grabbed my shoulder and jerked me back.I stumbled on my injured leg and cried out as the pain reverberated in my whole leg.My eyes were fixed on the bucket.My thoughts on my burning garden.I didn't hear the curses she spewed nor felt the pain her shoving was causing me.I planted my feet on the ground and waited for the bucket to fill.As it filled.I threw her hands away from my body and grabbed the full bucket.I didn't linger when I heard her cry of pain as she fell backwards from my light touch.The only thought that raced my mind was that I had to protect what I had so endearingly grew. The heavy weight of the bucket was putting too much pressure on my leg.I didn't stop and took the brisk steps to the garden as another cackling sound shook the forest.I was getting tired.My breathing labored but I didn't let it slow me down.