80

I looked at the large crowd once again that the Ceremony had brought together.All the neighboring packs were invited for the grand function.I saw many unfamiliar faces in the sea of familiar ones.This was the first time I had been privy to such a monumental and awe inspiring event.I took everything in with great eagerness.

The whole pack vibrated with  renewed energy and happiness of the members.There were so many people.All adorned in their pretty  attires.Women were flaunting their mates and their expensive jewelries to each other. Comparing and contrasting.Some gossiping.Some milling and trying to find their soulmates.

He carried me with him and all stopped to look at him.I was astonished and surprised to see some even bowing their heads to us showing their respects.I was amazed to say the least.

The old Zairi would have basked in the admiration and acceptance she seemed to be getting from the Pack members.This new one ,she threw their acceptance back at their faces.

The tender moment in the room with him was over.I had allowed that one last moment.I needed that in some way.The dream that I had envisioned was playing before my eyes and I couldn't resist participating in it  with him.I allowed this small weakness .For him.For me.To be kept locked away in my heart for all those times in the past.

Now it was time to search for the one I desperately sought.

I looked around and saw some of the Elders with their brooches shining brightly  on their chests.Some flaunted it with pride.I snorted.Typical.

We finally reached the front where the main members of the Pack were standing. Granna stood with her cane in hand away from others.Alpha Zed and Sarah stood a little away in a group with other elders.I diligently checked their brooches ,everyone  had them.Instead of going to his parents. Aeran went to Granna who stood alone lost in her thoughts.

Sensing our presence she looked at us.Me in particular and smiled warmly.

"Granna." Aeran bowed his head to her.Ignoring him completely she hobbled to me and took both my hands in her.

Kissing them she straightened.Her eyes shined with un-shed tears ."Thank you,my child.Thank you for wearing this dress.You cannot imagine the happiness you have given me.Bless you."

I couldn't keep mum at her gratitude and flow of generosity.I removed her hands from mine."It is a wonderful dress.Thank you,Elder Kurona."

"It was your mother's." She dropped the bomb out of nowhere and I stumbled.I looked down at the dress immediately and then looked back at her in shock.She smiled affectionately.

"Yes, it was Trina's.She loved it.Always wore it for the functions.I kept it.Knowing that one day her daughter would want it.Would want to know what her mother was like.And you look just like her.A perfect spitting image."

I looked down at the dress in new light.My mother once wore this.Some part of her.I have it now.Unable to keep my emotions in check ,I smiled in gratitude at the older woman."Thank you for giving me a piece of her."

Her bony arms wrapped around me and I knew in that moment, I had forgiven her.May be I was never really angry at her, the one who was my only ally in this foreign world.

She let go and  framed my face with her hands ,smiling wearily."Come now,don't make me cry,young lady."

With the forgiveness,Granna's strength visibly drew up.I noticed the change.She barked orders at the others with much more life in her than I had seen in a while.Our reunion was interrupted as Granna was called over by someone. Aeran probably forgotten by her as she ambled over to others.