15

I was still in a daze.

I found myself sitting on a tree stump just inside the garden.

I looked at my surroundings.How long has it been..?

It happened again.It's as if my body knows that it isn't capable of handling anything terrible,that it just shuts out everything.Completely zone out.

I lifted my hand up to my forehead but my muscles protested at the small movement.The gravel I was threw upon had left the lasting impression.I won't ever be able to forget about it.

I looked at the small plants in front of me as if they were beckoning me closer,offering me their comfort.I blocked out every thought and went to tend them.And continued till someone was lightly patting my shoulder.I turned back to find Aiinata's sad face looming over me.

I didn't had the energy to even act surprised to find her there.

I kept staring at her in confusion.Gently she grabbed my hand and pulled me up in a hug.My hands lay limp at my sides.

"I am sorry.I am so sorry.Please forgive them.Forgive me." She sobbed softly on my shoulder."I don't how they are capable of such cruelty.Elder Kurona would be so ashamed."

"No ,don't tell her." I whispered back to her.

"What.?Why.?I cannot keep something like this from her.She deserves to know how they treated you.They need to be punished for that.Specially Aeran. I am shocked to know that he is capable of something like this.All my years here and this is the first time I witnessed such a thing.I will inform Elder Kurona as soon she returns."She beseech-ed me keeping her hands on my shoulders.

"Granna would be upset.I don't want her to know.She has worked too hard for this pack.She'll be heartbroken.I don't want her to feel like she's at fault.That's what she'll do if she learns of today's events.Please don't tell her.I  request you." I took a step back.Her hands fell back down.

She looked at me with tears streaming down her face.Shaking her head in disbelief she muttered"Who are you really trying to save..?Elder Kurona?" she said after a pause"or Aeran.?"

I smiled "Who am I to save anyone.?I just don't want to break anyone's heart again.Is that wrong.?" I asked dejected."I am living with the repercussions of committing that horrible mistake once." 

She looked at me confused.I didn't think she'll understand what I was trying to say.

"But you got hurt today.You were bleeding.They need to know what they did was horrible and not at all right. Aeran needs to know."

I shook my head again."It won't change anything.You know it and I know it.So lets just leave it."

When she opened her mouth again I halted her words."Please lets just drop it.I am tired.I just want to forget it all."

I knew she didn't agree but complied with my request eventually.

"Oh I almost forgot."Aiinata went to the trees stump and picked up a tray of food.She brought it to me."Eat.You haven't eaten anything since morning."

I glanced at the tray."I don't have the appetite."

"Nonsense.You must be hungry.I won't go unless you have eaten everything on this plate."I turned to go sit on the stump again."Zairi. Please eat it.I can't imagine how you are feeling right now.But I know this ,by not eating you are letting them win.And they don't deserve that win."

Carefully she kept the tray on my lap.Taking the spoon she scooped out the soup she had made and brought it to my lips prodding them to open.

I kept my eyes downcast,knowing they were probably shining with unshed tears that were eager to come out.Only the thin thread of control was keeping them in check.I blinked rapidly to make them move back and opened my lips to taste the soup.

Only one small act of kindness was making me  this vulnerable than the harsh beating of a few hours ago.If only they knew how easy it was to break me.

"Come inside.You know the weather is turning for the worse.You cannot stay outside.I'll talk to Aeran."I kept  quiet."Everything he said was in anger.Whenever that Claron girl is concerned,he always loses his temper quickly."She said venomously."I don't know what kind of magic she has spewed on that boy.If only I could do something.She would be the first one to taste the sweet taste of my hard slap on her scrawny face."

I coughed unceremoniously and looked over at Aiinata horrified.

"Oh don't look at me like that.I never once liked that girl.I don't know why Aeran runs after her like that.She and terrible mother of hers are the  peas of the same pod,always pretending."My eyes were still wide."You don't like Ravine."

"Uh-hunh. As if I will like that bony girl.Whatever.Leave her.You are coming inside with me.And that's it."

Taking the now empty tray she pulled my hand to get me up.

"No,Aiinata I cannot come."

"What are you talking about.Where will you stay then..?You know it's going to rain any minute now judging from these cold winds."

"Aiinata I don't want you in any kind of trouble.Your relation with the others in the pack is strained as it is.I cannot do you more harm.Please understand."

"Zairi,tell me something.Do you really care for me..?"I nodded my head fiercely."You are like a daughter to me.I want you to listen to me this once.You don't want Elder Kurona to know.Fine I won't say anything but I also won't leave you out."

"I understand your concern Aiinata but I cannot cause more trouble for you.Try to see it from my point of view."

When nothing she said seemed to change my mind Aiinata huffed and said angrily."Fine you don't want to go in.Don't .But you won't stay here either.Come with me."

She grabbed my hand and walked deeper into the forest turning this way and that.After walking for quite sometime we came upon a wood cabin. Aiinata stepped through the stairs to open the door which was unlocked.

The whole interior of the cabin was warm and cozy with few signs of habitation.

A few couches took the place in one side with a huge flat screen TV and the other side was occupied by a modern day kitchen.

"This is the resting area where the wolves during the patrol come to take some time off the heavy duty.Since it'll be the whole night duty today and tomorrow. No one will come here."She climbed up another set of stairs to open the door on the left side."This room always remains vacant.Hardly anyone comes in here now.You can stay here for the night without anyone knowing about it."

She looked at me expectantly.I looked into the room to find a single bed.There was a table below the window.It was perfect.I smiled and nodded my head in appreciation.

"Thank you,Aiinata."

"Don't thank me child.I wish I could do more." She patted my cheek lovingly.

"This is more than enough." I enclosed her hand with mine.

Saying our farewells. Aiinata departed leaving me alone.

I went to the bathroom to check my injuries.Tending them and re freshening myself I came out to check my new surroundings.Going to the window I stared out at the darkening sky.I smiled as the first drops of rain splattered on my face.

Thank you Mother nature for crying in my stead.

.........................

Unknown to her ,a shadow gazed upon her.Hiding from her view,following her every movement with a keen interest.

Waiting.Watching that sad smile on her face .

"How can she still smile like that..?" The voice murmured in the dark of the forest was lost with rain drops falling heavily.

No longer able to see her,the shadow turned and disappeared in the thick trees.