New characters

Ukitake

How you met

Ukitake made sure to check if his lungs were good before going over to squad 3 to see the new captain. He heard it was a woman and knew there weren't many women captains so he made sure to give you a nice welcome (with candy too)

He knocked on the door as you opened it up. "Oh hello. With that white robe I take it you're a captain?"

"Captain Jushiro Ukitake of squad 13. I heard about you and though you would feel welcome with candy."

"Oh why thank you, I love candy!" You replied excitedly and popped a candy in your mouth, "This was very nice of you captain Jushiro."

"Please call me Ukitake. I want you to feel welcomed around here."

The bag of candy was already half gone by the time you looked up at Ukitake. "I feel welcomed already. If you don't mind I have to still finish the pile of early paperwork."

"Not at all!" Ukitake said and when back to his office with a happy smile.

When you become friends

To say thanks about the candy you bought a whole bunch the other day before going over to Ukitake's office. The place was still too you as you had to embarrassingly ask another soul reaper where his office was, luckily they were nice about it and pointed it out to you.

Just about an inch closer to the door, until you heard horrible sound of coughing. You slammed the door open and found Ukitake coughing up blood on the sleeve of his captain coat. You drop the candy on the floor and rushed up to him and held him close to you.

"Are you alright?! Do you need squad four to help you?!"

"(y/n) *cough* I'm fine." He said and finally stopped coughing, but was super pale afterwards.

Your heart sped up in worry as you grabbed a cloth and helped wiped the blood off his desk. "Are you sure? Because coughing up blood isn't normal."

"I-It's just an illness I've had since I was a young child... nothing to worry about (y/n)... but thank you for rushing to my need (y/n)."

"Well I couldn't just let the man who made me feel welcomed dying already in my life."

Ukitake gave you a sheepish smile and chuckled. "I'm beginning to think of this as a wonderful start of a new friendship."

"F-friend...?" You question and then a second later broke out into a smile, "I would love having you as a friend."

Ukitake smiled and pulled out more candy. "Great! Then you can have more candy!"

He starts developing feelings for you

It's been a whole month since you've been as the soul society's new captain and everyone treated you nice and well. Ukitake was the one person who you could only go for personal things as you needed help with paperwork and brought a stack inside with you.

"Hey Ukitake can you help me with the stack of paperwork with me?"

"Certainly!" Ukitake with a happy aura around him.

You set down the stack of paperwork as Ukitake took the most, without your saying.

"Oh you don't need to take that much."

"I don't mind at all! Plus I've been doing this a hundred years! It's only the goodness of me to help another captain out!"

You smiled and started getting to work. "You're so goodhearted Ukitake... I don't know what I would do without you."