Shunsui

You never saw the day when the Head Captain would finally retire in your own lifetime. I mean, the guy was over a thousand years old and still kicking the bucket, so it wouldn't be hard to believe he would do another thousand years. But within those five years you were married it was around the second year that Shunsui took up the position of Head Captain. You were excited for him, and because of his new position, you made him swore to never drink during his duties. To your surprise, he was sobber for a good amount of the time while he was on shift.

It wasn't until last year that you managed to get the position for vice-captain in the first division. You wanted to earn the spot instead of having your husband giving it to you, but those three years of hard work were worth it. You whistled to yourself as you poked your head through the doorway.

"Shunsui~ Are you finish-"

Shunsui sweated bullets as he was caught drinking sake. The only sound in the room was the clicking of the clock on the wall. 

"Oh, Shunsui~" You smiled, walking slowly across the room. "I thought we talked about this sweetheart~"

"O-Of course we did! This is just water!"

You snatched the bottle with your bare hand and poured the rest over his head. "I'll let it go just this once because of the news."

"What news?" He said, taking off his flower print kimono.

"Ichigo and his wife are having a kid! There's even going to be a baby shower!"

"Really? Wow, that kid has grown with these last couple of years. It makes it feel like my eye wasn't always gone."

You sat on the desk and face forward towards him. Carefully, you lifted the patch covering his scarred eye. "Does it hurt today? Or is it any better?" 

"It stings a little bit here and there," He mumbled while you put ointment on his scar. "But I got it protecting you~ So it's a worthy battle trophey~"

The memory always made you feel guilty inside. The incident happened before you were appointed vice-captain. A hollow was lurking just outside your peripheral vision and was going to cut off your head, but Shunsui sacrificed himself to save you. At the cost of that, he lost his right eye along with a piece of his top right ear cut off. The event made you depressed and resent yourself, but even with his conditions, Shunsui still operates as Head Captain. 

"Oh yeah!" You exclaimed, pulling out a small present from your pocket. "Jushiro and Picese's birthday is today! Do you think you can finish all this paperwork by tonight?"

"Honey," Shunsui said, "do you think all these stacks can be finished within one night?" He gestured to a mountain of them that were behind him.

"You could always finish on time if you weren't, oh I don't know, drinking sake behind my back!"

You yelled and tugged at his left ear, giving him an earful. The rant lasted for an hour as everyone who passed by felt sorry for the Head Captain. Having a wife like her is sure to be a handful. 

During the rant Nanao came in closing the door behind her. "Sorry to interrupt, but people passing by said I was needed in here to help the poor Head Captain from being killed."

"My sweet Nanao!" Shunsui yelled, his face beat red from all the pinching you gave him. "Save me! Save me from my wife!"

"Oh hi Nanao!" You smiled and finally let his skin rest in peace. "How is division eight going? Are you getting along with your captain?"

"Yes, but I wanted to come in and deliver this." She handed you a package. "This was left in the old storage room. I'm sure it was from Captain Kyoraku's stay as the original division eight's captain."

"Huh? Something I left?" He reached over and grabbed the package from your hands. Nanao and you watched as he ripped it open to reveal a hairpin. It was sleek and thin with a single (f/c) gem in the middle. 

"I can't believe I forgot about this." Shunsui stood up and started fumbling with your hair. "This was my gift for our second wedding anniversary. Old man Yamamoto's announcement of me becoming Head Captain must have made me forget."

Once he was finished Nanao got out a small mirror and showed you your reflection. You were in love with the hairpin and the style your husband fashioned your hair. For added effect you did a single spin to have the gem twinkle in the light.

"I adore it!" You kissed him on the cheek. "It might be three years late, but it's a lovely gift!"

"I'm glad. I still feel a bit guilty for forgetting it all these years."

"Well," Nanao started, "there is this sake you left behind."

She pulled out more stuff from the storage left behind from the eight-division. Once Nanao delivered everything she left you two alone. Since it was near the evening you let Shunsui have a cup of sake along with you since you couldn't resist. It was nearing nightfall as you both laid on the couch. You rested your head across his chest, becoming a tiny bit tipsy.

You couldn't help it when your feelings burst out. "I'm sorry I couldn't save your eye. I still feel horrible about the incident."

Shunsui hummed as he played with your hair, careful not to let the hairpin fall out. "I told you its not a big deal. I would rather die than have my wife be murdered by a hollow. If I couldn't save you in time, then I would never have taken on the position of Head Captain. I know I don't always show or tell you, but I do love you (y/n)."

Once he heard light snoring he chuckled to himself and closed his eye, reciting his own prayer. "My eye may hurt every day, but it would be nothing compared to the loss of you."