Ukitake

During the five years you were married to Ukitake, you both were not planning on adopting children. But fate had different ideas. It was around the third year of your marriage that two weakened children stumbled upon your house. It was when Ukitake and you were eating your dinner that the oldest, a boy, stumbled so hard that he tripped and smacked his forehead that it hemorrhaged. The sister who was the youngest looked to be on the verge of death. The scene haunted your memories whenever you tried to recall that night, but ever since that night, they were now your children.

You were helping wrap the presents as Rukia came in, face flushed from running. "Ichigo and his wife are having a baby!"

"Really?" You smiled, setting down the tape and grabbed Rukia's hands. "That's great! Remind me when to shop for a baby shower gift."

It was then that the oldest child, Jushiro, came in. In his left hand was his younger sister's hand, Pisces. They both were smiling cheek to cheek. Jushiro spoke while jumped up and down. "Do we get to see the cake first?!"

Pisces spoke next, her missing front tooth making her all the cuter. "Do we get a puppy?!"

You smiled and lightly pinched Jushiro's cheek. "Well, it seems that daddy isn't doing a good job of keeping you from the party."

"Jushiro! Pisces!" Ukitake came hurrying in, his long white hair trailing behind him. "How are you two this good tricking me?"

He picked them both up from behind, hugging them tightly to his chest. They all laughed and chatted among themselves as Ukitake winked at you. He brought the children outside to give you and Rukia privacy. You sighed with a smile before going back to wrap the next present.

Rukia chuckled, "Whenever I hear Jushiro I think of the captain."

"It wasn't my idea," You commented, "Ukitake gave them the names. He wants the oldest to carry the family name legacy since Ukitake is technically the oldest in his family."

"Speaking of that," She lowered her voice, "does Jushiro know where he comes from?"

"...no."

It was something both Ukitake and you were not comfortable speaking about to the children. You traced the origins of where they came from and it wasn't the grandest. It was from the old district Rukia was from, but in the red-light sector. Apparently, their mother abused them to the point of almost breaking Pisces's leg. They both escaped from her as far away as possible, and it led them to you. Due to the hemorrhage Jushiro experienced, he doesn't remember anything from the past, but Pisces told you everything. She didn't understand why her mother took men with her to bed or why she screamed at them. Ukitake took pity on them and wanted to adopt them.

Rukia understood that you wanted to explain until he was older and left the conversation to that. When it was time for the party you came out with the cake. Both their faces were lit from pure joy.

Ukitake smiled and patted them both on the back. "Go ahead, make a wish!"

Once they blew it marked Jushiro becoming seven and Pisces five years old. Since neither of them knew what their real birthday was, you decided it would be on the day that you found them. The party was a blast as Rukia helped clean up before leaving. After some cake and presents Ukitake put them to bed. He sat next to you on patio.

Ukitake shrugged off his captain's coat and wrapped around your shoulders, pulling you closer to his waist. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"For being a wonderful mother. Taking time off work to raise the children. I know they aren't our birth children, but I want to give them a new beginning."

"You also are a wonderful father." You played with his hair, twirling it around your finger. "You have this energy that naturally draws the children to love you with all of their heart."

"They love you too." He used his left arm to move your chin to look him in the eyes. "I know because they look at you the same way I look at you. Pure love and adoring eyes."

"Are they also smooth talkers like you?" You teased, giving him a quick kiss on the lips. "Or will it come naturally to them too?"

Ukitake laughed so hard you had to pinch his lips. "Children." You sneered.

He just lightly chuckled instead as he held out candy with his right hand. "Care for a sweet before going to bed?"

"Wow, trying to give me cavities?"

"I have one of your favorites."

"You win." You popped the candy in your mouth and hummed in approval. Ukitake watched with a smile on his face. He felt like he did not deserve you with how much you treated him.

"I love you, (y/n)."

You reached over and kissed him with candy in your mouth. It tasted just like your favorite flavor in his mouth which just make him pull you closer. You might have mumbled 'I love you back' some point in the kissing, but for now, you both were enjoying the moon light and the life you were given.