i : Exploration

To make up, or not to make up? That is the question.

I decided to bare without it today, as there's a high chance that I would end up going for a run later on.

It felt like there was somewhere I needed to be or somewhere I had a go, but there really wasn't. I figured it was going to take some time to adjust to the peacefulness.

I pulled my sketch book out of my leather satchel . I took it outside on the balcony, where I had a couple of chairs on either side of a small glass-top table. I sat down, having already accustomed myself to the roar of life from the cluttered street below.

The tall building directly across the street had a beautiful retro look to it, perfect to sketch. I wanted to draw it last night but it was far too dark to see its details. Now I realised that there were many more than I thought, but I like a bit of challenge.

I smoothed out my paper and began sketching a grid, necessary to get the proportions correct. Within the squares, I drew a rough outline. I decided to draw just one of the windows so that I could capture all of its tiny details.

Out of nowhere, coming up from the road below, were the screams of multiple girls. I got up and peaked over the edge of my balcony, startled.

Around ten girls sprinted along the foot path directly below. They ran at full speed until they stopped at the apartment complex a couple of properties away from me.

The screaming died away for a moment but I heard them again, loud and clear, as two boys ran from a car, into the apartment building.

Were they celebrities? Does that mean that I'm living down the street from celebrities? That's kind of different.

I almost laugh at my thoughts.

The screams had stopped now. I guess the two guys had escaped successfully. Well, I hope, for their sake.

I glanced back at my drawing. It would take multiple days to complete this one, considering that the angle of light was going to change through the day. I'll work on it each morning.

• • •

It was almost 10am so I decided to go explore around. Apparently there's a pool somewhere on my floor. I've never swum in one before. Call me strange, but I have my reasons.

I pull on my black converse and exit my apartment. When the door clicks shut, it echoes down the hallway. I headed right and made another right to find myself in front of a single door labelled, "Laundry Room".

I turned the handle and walked inside.

"Hello," spoke a girl.

I turned to face her before replying, "Oh, hey"

She had short blonde hair and brown eyes that complemented her heart-shaped face. She leant against the far wall, and I assumed she was waiting for her load to finish.

"I haven't seen you around here before. Did you move into 631?" She asked.

"Yes, just yesterday," I told her, "I'm Ella"

"Lauren," she stepped forward and we shook hands.

Lauren looked slightly older than me, maybe 20, though it's always hard to tell when a person wears a lot amount of makeup.

"Nice to meet you. I'm trying to familiarise myself with this place. How do I get to the pool?"

"Follow this hallway right" she informed me, motioning to the door behind me.

"Thanks, Lauren," I chirped, "See you round"

I walked out of the laundry room and continued down the hallway. Not too much further, I discovered a door. I pushed it open and walked outside. There was a large, blue, lagoon-shaped pool surrounded by loungers and tables. The sun hadn't quite hit the pool yet - I guess that's why there's no one else here.

Deciding that my exploring couldn't end here, I end up in the elevator next to the exit I came out of. I travel down to the lobby and find my way out of the building.

I turn left and stroll down the busy street. There's a small coffee shop on the corner that catches my attention.

Even though I don't drink coffee, I was down for a cold smoothie. It was very hot today.

I enter and order a banana smoothie and paid using the change in my pocket. Having to wait a few minutes, I took the opportunity to look around. The cafe was called Sunrise Cafe. It had a wooden and beach-y theme to it. All of the counters and table tops were wooden and there was a large surfboard featured on the wall.

I finally receive my smoothie and leave, continuing down the street. There were many clothing stores and restaurants along the sidewalks.

After crossing a street, I was now a couple buildings away from my apartment. The place I was walking in front of right now was where I'd seen those screaming girls run to earlier.

On the benches outside sat a bunch of girls. Likely them. They were engulfed by their phones. I almost laugh but stopped myself by subtlety shaking my head instead. I guess one of the girls still heard or saw me as we hold eye contact for a little longer than comfortable. She began to glare at me but her 'death stare' was rather weak. She could only just pull it off with her large, round, green eyes. I didn't react to it, but entertain myself with the thoughts inside my mind. She doesn't look older than thirteen.

I stop walking. I don't really know what I'm doing but it was probably making the situation worse. I should leave.

As I turn to remove myself from the situation, she shouts at me.

"I bet you don't know anyone famous! Me and Colby are in love!!"

What is she on about??

I put my hands up in a sarcastic surrender, showing her that I'm leaving.

"A-and my best friend Natalie is Sam's girlfriend," she turns to her friend who looks even younger, possibly her little sister. Eleven at most. They share the same dull-ish brown hair.

I'm cringing a little inside, I back away. I had no idea that fan girls could be like this.

They both roll their eyes at me as I turn to continue my exploration.