ʟv : Trapped

"Sorry man, I forgot my keys when I went out running,"

Phew.

It's only Aaron.

"No worries."

Colby opens the large wooden door wider to let him in.

"Oh hey, Ella," he greets when he spots me behind Colby.

"Hi," I smile softly as he walks past me, his hair very sweaty.

Wait.

My attention is trapped by the maroon car parked just outside the driveway on the road. Making eye contact with its driver has me clinging to Colby's arm. Tears well up in my eyes from the shock.

"Hey, what's-," but he stops himself after tracing my line of sight. "Is that him?" Colby closes the door, pulling me into him.

I nod, my heat against his warm chest.

"Did you see him follow you here?" Colby asks.

Oh no. I've given away their address to my stalker.

"I'm sorry," tears begin to run freely down my cheeks, "I'm so sorry. It's all my fault. He knows where you live. He followed my Uber ride and I thought we'd lost him. But he-,"

"Shhh," Colby stops my rambling, and uses his thumbs to brush the streams of tears from under my eyes but unfortunately they keep coming. "Please stop crying, Ella."

When I look up at him, I see the pained emotion that covers his face. He's trying to talk to me so I do my best to stop the tears pouring from my eyes but without too much luck.

"I'm so sorry," I say again, "I just-" but he cuts me off once more.

"No, Ella, it's okay. Stop worrying," Colby pulls me into a tighter hug.

He isn't mad or upset.

I relax in his arms, my tears stopping. Perhaps my tear ducts ran out of ammo.

"Let's go back upstairs," Colby suggests, pulling away from our embrace but keeping one arm around my waist.

"Wait," I panic. "Lock the door."

"It's already locked, you need a key to get in," Colby clarifies and I relax.

I'm so stupid. Aaron couldn't get in because he didn't have a key.

"He's not going to get you, Ella. I won't let him."

I small smile slips onto my face when Colby says this. He's so caring and gentle - something I've not experienced with a guy before. He's the complete opposite of Connor, and I feel bad now for even thinking that he might've been similar when I first met him.

I yawn inaudibly, already so tired from today's stress and frights.

"Can you take me back to mine, please Colby? I want to sleep," I ask, but Colby's face turns stern.

"He's right outside, Ella."

The reminder makes my stomach drop. I knew I was safe inside here, but the thought of Connor having me trapped was still mortifying. How long would he linger?

My decision-making goes to shambles under stress.

"If you need to sleep, take my bed."

"Are you sure?" I ask.

"Of course. I have some editing to do in the mean time. I promise I won't leave the room." He has his hands placed on my upper arms now, his promise sincere.

"Thank you," I nod, trustingly. I hated taking advantage of his hospitality but he was right, I can't leave and a really need to sleep to rest my chaotic mind.