xvi : Whispering

"So, what kind of job are you looking for?" Colby asks, breaking the silence.

We'd arrived at the location. I stepped out of Colby's black convertible onto the dusty ground and shut the door behind me.

"Well, I worked as a waitress in Colorado so that's an option" I shrug and he nods, interested.

The sky is ready to darken. It's reddish tones are vanishing into the horizon along with the sun.

"You should be an artist and sell your art" he suggests but I shake my head immediately.

"No, that's too risky. Plus, my skills are nothing compared to what's out there" I retort.

"Damnit, Ella. You're not supposed to say anything like that before I've seen your work so that I can tell you how wrong you are" Colby jokes.

I laugh. "Maybe I'm right"

"I still doubt that"

In front of us stands a three-storey mansion. From what I can make out in the dimming light, it's white, trashed and grand. It's most definitely abandoned. Multiple of its windows on the ground floor were smashed in and others were covered with wooden planks.

"Want to go inside?" Colby raises his eyebrows.

"Are you crazy?" There's no way I'm going in there. I'd fall through the second floor. It looks really scary too.

"Wait here a sec" Colby instructs before returning to his car. I watch him open the trunk and fetch a small tripod and digital camera out of it before returning over to me.

"What are you doing?" I ask him.

"We're going to film it," he says but I'm still slightly confused. "For a YouTube video"

"Alright but if I die in there that's on you" I tell him half-joking.

"Vice versa" he smiles, humored,  before taking the lead.

We approach the naked window frame beside the door. Colby steps through it swiftly, unharmed by the remaining glass shards. Once inside, he turns back around to help me through.

"Careful" he whispers as I grab onto his outstretched arms and step through as he'd done. Colby's skin was warm and soft, unlike my hands which were cold and probably sweaty. I snatch my hands back quickly at the thought and he doesn't seem to notice this.

"Why are you whispering?" I whisper back.

"I don't know" he whispers again and I chuckle.

"Here," Colby passes me the camera and tripod. Separately, may I add.

I look at the two objects, one in each hand. The camera is different to the one they were using yesterday. It was a lighter Canon model, but appeared to have the same functions.

"Go on" he gestures to my hands. I'm being asked to work this thing, aren't I?

A.N: Please give this chapter a vote if you liked it. Thank you for reading :)

Also, remember that I'm open to plot ideas for this story. Feel free to DM these to me.