ʟxx : Bloodshed

I instinctively hid behind Colby's shoulder as I made eye contact with Connor. He loomed over the pool, casting a shadow over us.

"What are you doing here?" Colby questions in a cold tone.

"I'm not giving up. She's mine, Colbs," Connor smirks and crosses his arms.

Now I don't know an awful lot about psychology but do know that people cross their arms out of insecurity. He subconsciously knew this was going to end badly for him and that gave me a little bit of hope. I think he may fear Colby.

I grab Colby's hand under the water for comfort. I was so drained already. He turns to look at me briefly, giving me a nod.

From that, I know that he'll handle the situation. As much as I appreciate him doing so, I feel so bad that he got dragged into this problem. He doesn't deserve it.

"Please just leave, Connor" I attempt to show him that I'm done with this.

"You heard her," Colby immediately adds a strong backbone to my words.

"I'll leave. But only if she comes with me."

Connor nears the edge and pulls his shirt off, his intentions of jumping into the pool becoming clear.

"Leave!" Colby yells, but it's a bit too late.

He lunches himself towards Colby, causing a large splash. I'm instantly pushed away from them both. When I swipe the wet hair away from my face, I see a fight accelerating.

"Nooo!!" I panic, instinctively trying to get closer to break it up. Realising I'm not going to be any use in the water, I helplessly back away and get out of the pool, my eyes stuck on the two.

I run around the ledge of the pool to get near them. "Stop it!"

Connor has his back to me as he as he goes to swing a hefty punch at Colby's face. No.

Without a second thought, I launch myself towards them, landing on Connor's back. Before he's able to pry me off, I grasp onto him, pull his hair and clamp his ribcage as hard as I can using my thighs.

"Get off!!" Connor booms, becoming more violent in his attempts to throw me. He stops throwing his fists at Colby and I see Colby move away.

I'm so absorbed in trying to stop Connor that I'm taken by surprise when two hands grasp my sides and begin to pull me out of the pool. My reflexes kick in and I kick Connor away from me. I turn my head to find Colby.

"Let's go. Now" he says.

I catch a glance of the blood streaming from his nose. However, before I can express my concern, he grabs my hand and pulls me quickly over to the door leading inside. We sprint down the hallway, making a break for my apartment. Once inside, Colby locks the door as I sink to the floor.

"Holy shit," I speak, out of breath. Colby joins me on the floor.

"I'm so sorry that happened, Ella. It was a dumb idea to go swimming. I'm sorry," his head falls in dismay.

"It's not your fault. I didn't expect to see him again tonight. If anything, I'm sorry for what he did to you," I confess.

"But Ella.." Colby trails off, bringing a hand to my face. He touches brow bone.

It stings badly and I hiss in pain. I hesitantly bring my hand up to feel the bruise too. It's swelling as we speak. I knew I got hit a few times back there but I guess the adrenaline has worn off about now.

I bring my attention to Colby's bleeding nose. "Let me get you some tissues," I offer, standing up.

"No, no, I've got it," he stands and staggers off towards the bathroom.

Why did Connor do this? There's no point. What does he want?

Tears threaten to spill from my eyes at the though of this sort of thing reoccurring. Is he going to try again tonight? I think I kicked him in the head as we escaped.

Wait.

Could I have knocked him unconscious?

He'll drown in that pool.

My heart raced as I pulled open the door in panic. I retraced our wet foot prints back down the hallway. I opened the entry door of the pool. My eyes scanned the water hastily.

He's not there. Phew.

I'm about to turn around and retreat to the safety my apartment but a hand grasps my wrist tightly.

"You're mine again, Ella."

(A/N: And that concludes this book. Thank you to all my readers! Shall I start a second book? :D)