xix : Goodbye

(A.N: I planned on dedicating this chapter to 500 reads but due to the amount of reads this story got overnight, I appear to have missed my chance. Here's to 680 reads! Thank you so much to all of you that have made it to here and beyond!)

We decided to keep going with the ouija board.

"I always thought these had to end badly" Colby confesses.

"I've never had a bad experience with them. As long as you're super polite, it's rare that there's a problem" I share.

"That makes sense"

I nod.

"R.H. can you tell us what made that noise upstairs before?" I ask.

The coin moves towards the letters.

O. P. O. S. S. U. M.

"An opossum" Colby states, "Is it safe to go up there?"

Yes.

"Let's go explore," I say.

"Okay," he agrees.

"We're going to go now, R.H. Thank you for communicating with us" after I say this, the coin moves further onto 'Yes'.

"Goodbye" Colby and I say at the same time.

The planchette moves down to 'Good Bye' and we remove our fingers. Colby slips the quarter back into his pocket.

"Alright, let's go," he stands up and offers a hand to me. I take it and pull myself up.

"Thanks" I say and he smiles.

"Want to lead the way?" He offers.

"Sounds fun" I grin as I pass him.

I walk cautiously over to the stairway with Colby in tow. I now had the camera filming once more.

We step on the first stair and it creaks loudly. However, it seemed pretty sturdy after testing it out.

We make our way upwards, most of the stairs groaning under new weight.

Halfway up, there are two steps missing. I look down and see the parlour floor.

"Here," Colby stretches his arm out. He had already crossed the gap.

I smile and take his hand. He pulls me up towards him.

We continue up each step carefully. When I reach the top of the stairs, there's a hallway that multiple rooms diverge off of. There's no sign of the opossum. It must've heard us approaching.

There was a door directly across from us, so I stepped forward and turned the knob. I went to push the door open, but it was stuck. Colby seemed to notice this.

"I got it" he took over, stepping in front of me.

He turns the doorknob and presses into the door with his shoulder. After his second attempt, it swings open with a loud creak. Moonlight pours through the doorway, illuminating us both.

"Woah," I exclaim, barely audible.