xiii : Gentle

"Okay" I answered Colby.

"Let's go a bit shallower then" Colby suggested and I nodded enthusiastically. He pulled me into his chest and began to kick us back towards the beach.

"Ahhh!" I yelp as Colby let's go of me, but I'm alright, I realise as my feet make contact with the sand at the bottom.

"Sorry"

"I'm alright" I tell him honestly.

"Hey Colby!" It's Sam from the shore.

"Yeah?" Colby turns.

"I have a lunch date with Katrina. I'll see you later" he yells.

"Have fun" Colby waves and so do I.

"Ohh, Katrina" I come to the realisation of who she is.

"You know who she is?" Colby questions.

"Yeah, just from Sam's videos" I explain.

"You'll meet her. She's really cool" he says casually.

That would be pretty cool. I'm going to have to make more friends here at some stage, but I didn't want to get too close to anyone. Sam and Colby are good guys and I trust them; their personalities and lives were displayed on the internet. I just didn't need a repeat of what happened to me in Colorado.

"What's wrong?" Colby asks, and I notice my face is displaying a dull expression. I delete this look immediately.

"Nothing," I say, "I'm fine. Really"

"It's alright, you can talk to me if you want" he knew that something was up.

"Maybe another day" I suggest, hoping he'll drop it.

"That's okay" Colby says softly, comfortingly.

I give him a small smile. I'm beginning to notice how lovely he is. He wasn't arrogant or overly persistent or rude. Colby was kind and gentle, not something I'd seen before in a guy. He had me really intrigued.

I looked back up at him. "Would you like to teach me now?"

Colby nods. "I'm definitely no swimming instructor or lifeguard, but surely I can teach you how to float"

"You sure?" I laugh, flicking a bit of water his way.

"No promises" he laughs too, flicking water back which hits my face.

"Let's start with laying on your back" Colby begins.

"I'll sink!" I exclaim.

"I promise you won't" he seems sure and I nod.

Colby swims up beside me and places a hand on my back. "Lean backwards"

I do so, bringing my spine parallel to the water's surface.

"Now bring your legs up too"

Again, I do as he says. When my second leg looses contact with the ocean floor, I sink slightly, panicking as my ears drop underwater.

Colby pushes me back up and a recover, "it's okay, you're doing really well" he tells me.

I nod and grin. Maybe this isn't so bad.