xʟvi : Smoothies

"Ella, are you okay?" My best friend comforts me.

Aaron had driven us home and my eyes had remained raw and sensitive the entire time.

"I'll be fine" I nodded believably, hoping to convince not only Jasmine, but myself.

"Would you like me to get you your drawing stuff?" Jas had always been supportive of my growing talent. To this, I nod. Drawing helps me relax.

With that, she gets up and trots into my bedroom, leaving me temporarily alone on the couch. Jasmine returns quickly, my sketch book and a few pencils in-hand.

"This is incredible! How the hell did you do this?!" She exclaims, holding up my drawing of Colby in the abandoned mansion.

I shrug, blushing a little. She positions the items in front of me on the table.

"Thanks" I smile up at her meekly.

"You're welcome. I think I'll make smoothies. Want one?" Jas offers kindly.

I nod eagerly. She's so good in the kitchen. Smoothies are something she makes quotes often so she's quite the expert at perfecting flavours.

She scuttles off the the kitchen and lean over the blank page in front of me.

I begin drawing, though I'm not sure what I want to achieve. Soon enough,  almost random lines spark an idea.

Another life. A parallel universe. Something vaguely surreal, a style I haven't explored.

Living in LA was causing my imagination to come out of hiding. It's as if I can make a mistake here and no one will judge me. This is the freedom I had been looking for.

While the blender whirred over in the kitchen, I sketched a rough outline to plan the depth of the image I had in mind. Multiple trees with thick round stumps, a clean winding pond and, of course, even emerald-green grass that linked the foundation together. I imagined it to be so beautiful that I didn't think I could replicate it accurately.

I was so deep in my creative rampage that I didn't hear Jas approach me.

"Here you go," she places a glass on the table, filled to the brim with a magenta-coloured berry blend. Yum.

"That looks delicious, thank you" I tell her before we both take out first sips. It tasted divine.

I continue drawing, sipping generous amounts of the smoothie.

All of a sudden, my phone vibrates from inside my hoodie pocket and a jump a little in fright. It's a text from Colby.

How are you doing?

I type out my reply and send it,

Better. Jas made smoothies

I set my iPhone down beside me on the coffee table and he replied shortly after,

Jealous 😭