xvii : Action

I huff and turn the camera over. I see where the tripod is supposed to go and manage to screw it into place successfully. Done.

I offer the camera to Colby but he puts his hands behind his head and takes a couple steps backwards.

"It's all yours" he says as I switch it on. I notice it's already on the video setting. Colby had gone very silent, watching what I was doing from a distance.

"What?" I ask softly him, making eye contact.

"Nothing" He smiles. I roll my eyes playfully and continue fiddling with the camera.

It's now on and ready to film.

"Here," I attempt to pass it to him once more but he refuses to take it.

"You're videoing this" Colby tells me.

"Me?"

"No, I'm talking to one of the many spirits who roam the halls of this house" he states, beckoning to the dark room.

"Right" I say lightly.

"This is your video, introduce yourself" he explains.

I told the camera by the tripod and press record but I'm silent for a moment.

"What the heck do I say?"

Colby laughs and starts walking further into the room so I follow. "What's up guys? I'm Ella and today I'm exploring this creepy mansion with Colby Brock!" He mocks my voice rather inaccurately.

"Thanks for the intro" I smirk when he looks up and realises that I had the camera on him.

"Damnit" Colby says in the same girly voice. I giggle.

We walk further into the mansion but come to a halt when we hear a shuffling noise from upstairs. I glance over at the wooden staircase. There's no way I'm going up there. After sharing an uncertain look with Colby, we end up continuing in our original direction. From what I can make out, we're in the parlour. It has dirty ivory tiles covering the floor. Debris from the walls and old furniture was everywhere and so we were careful when planning our next step.

Colby and I reach the opposite corner of the room and enter through a door-less archway into a smaller area. Countertops surrounded us. This must be a kitchen because there's a sink.

"Ella, look" he catches my attention and I focus the camera on him and then to where he's pointing.

It's a ouija board. I'd done a few in the past.

"Do you want to do it for the video?" He asks me but I shake my head.

"I'll do it with you, but we can't film it" I explain to him.

"Have you done it before?" He questions.

"Yes" I answer before ending the recording on the camera.

Colby picks up the board. "There doesn't seem to be a planchette" he looks around on the floor with his phone torch.

"Let's use a coin" I suggest. Colby pulls a quarter out of his pocket.

He carries the board out into the parlour and I follow. There's a little more light here.

We sit down beside each other and he positions the board in front of us.

"Sure you don't want to record this, Ella?" Colby asks once more.

"It's seen as disrespectful by the majority of spirits. By recording before you start, you're more likely to get a spirit who wants to mess with you" I explain.

"Jesus, how many times have you done this?" He leans over and looks at me, slightly amused.

"Only a few" I shrug, chuckling at his bemused expression.