xviii : Ouija

"Colby, take your hand off. We need to start with a prayer" I tell him and he does as I say.

I begin speaking the prayer and Colby joins in when he recognises it.
"Our Father, which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen."

We fall silent and I place two fingers on the silver coin and Colby copies.

He looks and me and I prod him using my eyes.

"Are there any spirits here who wish to communicate with us through the board?" He says clearly but in a low volume.

The coin moves slowly, picking up speed as it makes its way to the top left corner.

Yes.

"Are you moving it?" Colby asks softly.

"Nope" I reply.

"Are you a good spirit?" I ask.

Our makeshift planchette moves further onto 'Yes'.

"Are you a male or a female?" He asks.

F.

"Female" Colby mutters.

"What are your initials?" I ask her.

R. H.

"Are you going to harm us?" Colby questions.

No.

We ask R.H. a few more questions about herself and learn that she died in 1834 at the age of 23. She was born in France.

"Have you heard of soulmates?" I ask Colby but he shakes his head.

"Everyone has at least one. Not all are romantic, some are friends, some can be both. You can ask how many you have. I have 14 soulmates." I explain to him.

"That's so cool" he comments before turning his attention back to the board.

"How many soulmates do I have?" He asks R.H.

The coin moves down towards the numbers.

9.

"Can you tell me how many are romantic?"

1.

"What?" I'm in disbelief. How can Colby only have one? I've not known anyone who's had one.

The coin moves to 'Yes' in answer to my confusion.

"I wonder who it is" Colby says.

"You don't want to know, trust me," I tell him honestly, "it makes it weird knowing"

"Will I end up with this soulmate?" He asks me.

"Not necessarily. You can be happy with someone who's not your soulmate, but you'd be more happy with your soulmate"

"I'll probably never meet my soulmate" laughs Colby.

I feel our planchette move beneath my finger tips.

"Well R.H. doesn't think that's the case" I say.

The coin was on 'No', in disagreement.