xi : Dreaded

I lay on my white towel reading my book while the boys splashed in the water. It was in this moment I wished I was confident in the water. As enticing as my book was, they look to be having so much fun. Regardless, I focused my attention back to the written dialogue.

Moments later, I felt someone tear my book from my hands. I look up, shading my eyes.

"Colby" I moan, slightly annoyed.

"C'mon" he held out his hand for me.

He wants me to swim with them. Crap. I can't do this.

"No," I plead.

"Yes" he smiles convincingly.

I really want to go with him. Maybe if I don't go out too deep, I'll be okay.

"Alright" I sigh in agreement and take his hand. He pulls me up from my towel.

The heavy feeling of doubt grew in the pit of my stomach as Colby tugged me closer and closer to the shoreline.

"It's not that cold today," Sam said from the water, "I promise"

He hadn't exactly tamed my fear, but I smiled gratefully at him nonetheless. Sam was right though, I observed as the tip of a wave rolled up over my toes. I also observed Colby's face. I think he noticed something. If it really was just the temperature of the salt water on my mind, I would be laughing or something.

His grip on my wrist loosened as he took a couple of steps back to stand beside me.

"It's okay," Colby reassured me. He was on my case.

I nodded and released a deep breath. He lead me into the water. The water was very refreshing. We got deeper and deeper slowly. The water was nearly up to my chest now, but I could still stand on the ocean floor. I stopped and so did Colby. I didn't want to panic myself by going out further.

"You're not very talkitive today, Ella" he attempted to lighten the mood.

I guess I wasn't.

"Um, yeah... sorr-"

"It's cool" he stopped me from having to somehow explain myself. But I knew I owed him another explanation.

"I never learnt how to swim" I confessed.

Colby nodded, letting me continue.

"I'm from Colorado, and swimming isn't really big there. There aren't any beaches"

From over his shoulder, I saw a large wave forming. Oh no. I tried to run inland but Colby grabbed me.

"We need to swim out a little further so it doesn't break before us" Colby explained to me but I looked at him unsure.

"Trust me, I got you"

A.N: Please vote if you liked this chapter. Thanks guys for all the nice comments :)