xʟvii : Keys

"Arrrrhhhhhhhhhh!"

An ear-piercing scream woke me from my dream. I sat upright, realising that that scream was much to real to have happened in my head.

"Jasmine?" I call out.

Listening more closely now, I hear her distressed whimpers coming from outside my bedroom. I waste no time in jumping out of bed and sprinting over to her.

I found her knelt on the floor at the end of the kitchen bench. Her hands grasped her right side tightly.

"I'm fine" she said immediately when she saw me kneel to her level. I wasn't stupid, there was definitely something very wrong.

"What's wrong?" I try asking. She still grips her side, lulling back and forth slightly to distract herself from the obvious pain.

"I just walked into the corner," she says and I follow her trail of sight up to the corner of the marble counter not too far above us.

"Can you stand?" I ask. I keep calm, knowing that this is the best state to be in in this type of scenario.

She shakes her head. "I don't want to find out"

"Well then we need to get you to an emergency centre" I inform her. I wasn't sure where any were, so I start searching it on my phone.

"No, no, I'm okay, Ella" Jas clearly didn't want to go, but she had to. She still hissed in pained and clenched her jaw tight, not daring to remove her hands.

It was quite dark, only a little moonlight shining through the curtains. However, I was no fool to understand the seriousness of the situation.

There were no hospitals nearby. All were at least twelve blocks away.

"Jas, where are your car keys?" I ask, planning to drive her there myself. In answer she shakes her head.

"Please, Jas. I need to take you" I plead, looking around potential places she could've put her keys. I didn't have any luck so I ask her again but still, she refused to let me take her.

Without telling her what I was doing, I called Colby. I was running low on options.

My vision flashed to the time at the top of my screen.

3:24am.

This is ridiculous. He won't pi-

"Ella?" Colby greets sleepily, his voice deeper than usual.

"Colby, I'm so sorry. Just go back to sleep. This was a mistake," I quickly try to cover my tracks.

"You sound panicked, what's wrong?" He ignores me.

"Um, it's Jasmine. She's hurt. She's can't stand. I need help. She won't give me her keys. She doesn't want me to take her to the hospital" I spurt short sentences, stressing.

"I'm on my way. I'll be there in ten" he informs me. I'm surprised at this, but extremely thankful.

"Oh my goodness, thank you so much" I let out a breath of air, relieved though I still feel guilty for waking him.

"It's no problem. I'll see you soon" and with that, he hangs up.