ʟiii : Paranoid

(A.N: I apologise for leaving you guys on a lil cliff hanger back there! Thank you @AwkwardEmoBitch and @alohaayanna for voting lots!)

His beady bloodshot brown eyes bore intensely into mine.

Connor.

I jerk my head away immediately, praying that this wasn't real. I'm seeing things.

However, when I look back I find his eyes still on me and not on the road ahead. I'm not seeing things.

Internally freaking out and having no clue what to do, I forced myself to stay quiet, not bringing my Uber driver into this just yet. I didn't want to cause him any trouble.

My driver honks the horn, warning Connor. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the maroon car slowly drop back, until it was out of my sight. Maybe he had second thoughts about finding me. Doubtful, I nevertheless hope that this is the case.

I relax back into my seat, wishing I was at Colby's already. We are only a couple minutes away now. Falling for temptation, I spare a glance behind me, out the back windshield.

My stomach plummets once more. Connor is hot on our tail.

He's following me.

I didn't want him to meet Colby or even know where he lived. He'd think so lowly of me if he meets this awful human being who I'd once fallen for. Not to mention the fact that Connor had become progressively worse, the drinking and smoking had already taken a toll on his appearance and, more obviously, his mental state. He was so drunk that night I don't even think he remembered any of it. If he had, how sick did he have to be to chase me from my old life.

What's done is done. He will never change.

Not wasting another moment, I catch the attention of my Uber driver.

"Um sorry, do you mind dropping me a few blocks further from the address I have you?"

"Sure, no problem,"

I'm glad he didn't question it.

For the rest of the duration, I keep glancing back, extremely paranoid. He's still there.

I breath a hopeful sigh of relief when my driver switches over two lanes, ready to turn off into the destination street. Connor is no where to be seen, after he gets pushed behind some traffic. Perhaps he didn't see us turn off.

"Wait, actually, sorry to be a pain but just drop me at the original address," I change my mind. Connor won't catch up in time if he saw the street we turned down.

The thought of Colby and his roommates' home sounds so safe to me right now, it's uncanny.

The driver finally pulls over outside their mansion and I hurriedly leave the car, thanking him in the process.

I nearly run through their gate to hide myself behind the safety of the trees.

I knock frantically on the door, peering over my shoulder.

"Hey, Ella," Colby greets, his worries eyes meeting mine.

"I'm okay," I say to myself, more that anyone else. I'd escaped Connor. For that, I let go of the tension in my shoulders, entering the house. I immediately felt safe.