xxiii : Sorry

(A.N: Thank you fruhlings for all your votes!)

Now, all the shards were out. It took almost and hour, but we did it.

I pick up the bandage roll and unwind it a bit. Colby gives me his clean hand. I'd rinsed his hands with water to remove some of the dried blood. Multiple cuts littered his hands but they gave him no pain.

I finish wrapping the bandage and cut the excess off.

"All done" I announce and Colby turns his head towards his hands.

"Thank you so much. I'm sorry to be such a pain" he shakes his head, causing strands of dark brown hair to cover his forehead.

"It's fine," I tell him immediately. He nods his head, grateful.

Something flickers on his face but the expressions gone before I can work out what it is. Before I can give it a second thought, he holds my hands with his newly wrapped ones. The unexpected gesture makes my breath hitch slightly.

"I didn't get a chance to tell you this," Colby hesitates a little, "but you looked beautiful under the moonlight back in that room"

Is this going where I think it is?

"Wha-" I attempt to ask, to check if I heard him correctly.

Of course you heard him right, you're standing so close to him.

I was cut short when he leans in, still holding my hands in his. His eyes were a bright icy blue, giving me butterflies in the pit of my stomach.

Do I want this?

I close the rest of the distance without really thinking. Our lips touch. His are smooth and gentle.

I'm enjoying this too much.

He met me just yesterday.

I pull back, disconnecting our lips.

A smile blossoms slowly onto my face and I use my long sleeve to hide this as a take a few steps away, creating distance.

My smile fades as tension builds in this tiny bathroom. I cross my arms over my chest when Colby slides off the countertop, back into his feet.

Another thought hits me.

Is this how he is? With any girl?

Colby speaks, breaking the awkward silence. "I- um. I'm sorry. Just forget that happened. Maybe you don't feel that way about me. I'll- um, I'm gonna go now" he stutters and is already headed out of the bathroom before he finishes speaking. I'm left dead in my tracks. I hear my apartment door open and close. He's gone.

What just happened?