ʟi : Found

"I don't want to talk about it," Jas looks emotional. I can't force her to fess up, it's obviously a heavy subject.

"Let's get back to sleep," I suggest in defeat. However, I doubt I'll be getting any with Jas' injury on my mind but it's what's best for my friend.

She nods, slouching before laying down cautiously on the couch bed as not to upset her wound. The nurses had cleaned and stitched it up to stop the bleeding and accelerate the healing process. With the antibiotics, I'm confident she'll be good in no time.

My phone vibrates in my pocket so I pull it out, heading to my room.

Colby: How's she doing?

I shake my head nearly letting a giggle escape. Him and Aaron probably weren't even home yet. They were likely still driving.

Ella: She's doing fine physically, didn't want to talk about it so she's going straight to sleep.

Colby: Sounds good for the most part. I'm sure she'll come round.

Ella: I hope so.

With the whole moving away thing, it seems as if the time Jasmine and I spent apart had an affect on our friendship. I'd sensed that something had been a little off since our first phone calls but I'd been skeptical. Nothing comes between Jas and I, nothing ever has. Maybe time and distance are more powerful than I'd always thought.

I drop my phone on my bedside table before turning off the light. The darkness blinds me for a moment. Then, my phone screen illuminates. Colby, I think as I pick it up.

Nope.

Unknown Number: Got you.

My eyes run clumsily over the text again and I feel the sweat seep through my pores.

Connor.

I wasn't entirely sure what "Got you" is supposed to mean, but I certainly feared the worst.

I reply, playing dumb. I need an elaboration. The more I know the better.

Ella: What?

Unknown Number: Guess who's halfway there.

He is on his way from Colorado. He had to have my address. How did he find me? I shiver uncomfortably at the thought of ever seeing him again. He'd already been discarded from my life. He was the reason that I moved here.

On the brink of tearing up, I wrench the poisonous thought of meeting him again from my mind.

I tap out of the conversation, navigating back to Colby's. I read over our last texts to distract myself.

I'll tell him in the morning if it wasn't too late.