xʟv : Touch

"Who is this? Stop annoying Ella," Colby stated bluntly in a deep voice.

Connor's hesitation before his next words indicated that he was surprised, but as far as fear went, he was un-phased.

"Colby Brock. How are you doing?" Connor's words slur slightly.

"He's drunk," I mouth to Colby.

When Colby said nothing, he continued.

"Is Ella with you? How's LA treating her?"

He knows where I am.

From the video.

He's undoubtedly on his way here.

"Hang up. Hang up NOW" I scream, tears already threatening to fall from my waterline.

Colby does as I say instantly and then pulls me closer to him.

"Who was that, Ella?" Colby's voice soothes me but his words lingered in my head meaninglessly for a short while until I whipped away my tears and interpreted them.

I shouldn't have let him answer the call. Of course this was going to end badly. I knew it, but I didn't listen to myself.

"You can trust me," Colby gazes warmly into my eyes. I know he's right. I can trust him. I want to trust him. But I've heard these same words roll off Connors prickly tongue.

"I'm sorry," I look down, not wanting to meet his eyes in my weak state.

"No, I'm sorry," he apologises back, as if it were entirely his fault I was upset right now.

"This isn't your fault," I reason, meeting his beautiful eyes, "it's Connor's" I gesture to the phone still in Colby's hand.

"Connor," he repeats, but not in a questioning tone. More to test out the name.

"Yes, I'm sorry. I brought this upon myself" I admitted.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asks me cautiously but I shake my head softly.

"Not today. I just want to forget about it for now"

Colby nods understandingly and then embraces me in a gentle hug.

"You'll be okay. He can't touch you."

Maybe not for the moment he can't.

But that's his objective.

Colby and I understand the word "trust" by different definitions.

I sigh, fed up with wasting tears on Connor.

"I just want him gone," I tell Colby, though he doesn't have all the context, he understands enough for now.

Still in our embrace, Colby rubs his hand in circles over my back.

"I care about you, Ella. If he's anything like Lauren is to me, then I get it completely. I can help you"

"I care about you too, Colby. I'll tell you everything, just not today. I'm not ready."

Content with my reply, he helps me up from the couch and we join the others again.