ʟxviii : Midnight Plans

"Colby?"

"Yes?" He replies as we lay down together.

"Don't get mad but," I paused momentarily, "he kissed me."

Saying it makes me ache with fear again as I relived flashes of what happened barely twenty minutes ago. My chin grows sweaty and cold.

I see Colby's face widen in shock but soften to a worried expression as he turns to me.

"I'm not mad, just really sorry. I should've come in with you." He shakes his head in dismay.

"It's not your fault. Besides, I managed to knee him in the stomach. I just needed to tell you."

I now realise just how bad the situation could have been. I was lucky to get inside my apartment when I did. God knows what would've happened if I hadn't escaped his presence.

Colby nods and kisses the side of my head, still concerned.

"You okay?"

I tilt my head up to meet his eyes.

"I think so. Being with you makes me feel safe."

I cuddle further into his body and he holds me with his arm.

"I hate him so goddamn much." He clenches his fist so I hold his balled hand in palms.

I am a little surprised he managed to hold in his anger for this long.

"Me too," I smile, trying to hold back tears.

My emotions are all over the place. I feel disoriented, hurt and lucky all at the same time.

"Get some sleep," Colby suggests.

"I'll try my best."

Turned away from him, I keep my eyes open because I know what's lurking inside my head. I try to ignore it all and just focus on Colby's bare chest pressed against my back and his hand in mine. As lovely as the feeling is, I struggle to hold back my scattered thoughts.

I lie there trying to clear my head for what feels like an hour. It's no use.

"Colby?"

I pray he's awake.

"Hm?" He mumbles.

Phew.

"I can't sleep."

He sits up, pulling me with him.

"We should do something to take your mind of him," he suggests, in thought.

"Like what? It's the middle of the night." I inform him.

"There's a pool here right?" He grins and has me smiling too.