ʟiv : Stay Here

(A.N: Shoutout to annabucchs2662 for voting for all the chapters! I'm so glad to see so many people enjoying this book. I hope my writing ability is adequate!)

"So, um-" I stop myself again, not sure how to tell him. I didn't want to drop it like a bomb but what other way was there to go about it?

"Connor is here in LA," I say quietly, hating saying his name out loud.

"What?! Have you seen him?" Colby asks immediately, going rigid next to me as we sat on the edge of his bed. He has just unknowingly provoked the second bomb.

I nod meekly. Colby grows visibly worried.

"Did he hurt you?"

"Not yet," I bow my head in defeat. I feel helpless.

Colby stays silent and puts his arm around me in a comforting manner. His head is so close to mine I can smell his minty breath. With his free hand, he rubs his eyes before pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Stay here."

"What?" I ask, surprised by his words.

"At least for a couple of weeks," he elaborates.

"No," I state simply. Burden is not my middle name.

"Yes, you and Jas can have the couches downstairs. There's plenty of room here," Colby attempts to convince me.

"The offer is kind, but I can't accept it. I'll be safe in my apartment, there's a great security system," It's no lie. There's a series of working alarms, security cameras and to even get from outside to someone's room, you have to use a swipe card twice and a key for your door.

"Ella, I can't force you, but I'm not withdrawing my offer," he looks me in the eye with a serious expression.

"Thank you," I smile, "and if anything changes, Jas and I will stay for a couple days."

Colby nods, understanding I'm not going to budge.

"Just don't wait until it's too late."

"I won't," I tell him. I'm not going to let Connor lay a finger on me if I can help it, that's for sure.

Interrupting our quiet moment, we are alerted by a loud knock on the door. I stiffen.

What if it's...

Ella, he didn't even turn down this street.

Colby stands from the bed. "I'll get it, stay here," he sighs.

"I'll come too," I spring up from his bed.

"Alright," he chuckles, placing a hand on me to guide me out the door. I feel his handspan reach across the width of my back.

Colby follows me down the stairs and across the white marble tiles to the front door. I wait for him to open it.