xʟiv : Gamer

"How did y-" All three of us turned when we heard Aaron raise his voice from the next room.

"I told you, I'm an expert at this game" I heard Jas counter his confusion. Jasmine was a bit of a gamer, so I believed that.

Without further hesitation, I follow Colby and Elton past their kitchen, to the room where Jas was beating Aaron seven to one in Rocket League. What did he get himself into?

I laughed at Aaron's petrified expression. He just sat there, controller dangling from his right hand, watching Jas cop a couple more goals before the round finished.

"That was insane," Aaron admitted as he held his hands up in defeat. "How did you learn to kick people's asses like that?"

Jas was clearly humored by his question but she shrugged, "Practice?"

She and her brother, before he left home last year, would play Xbox hours on end. It was a popular hobby in their family. Jasmine even tried to teach me a game once. I can't remember what it was called, I was that terrible at it.

I felt my phone buzz from inside my pocket so I pulled it out. The screen was lit up and displayed no caller ID. I, however, knew who it was likely to be.

"Um, Jas, we need to go" I stump everyone's good mood.

"What's up?" She asks, concerned.

"Nothing," I answer a little too quickly. "It's just that-" but I'm cut off my another vibrate emitting from my phone in my hand.

"Do you know who it is?" Colby questions. I didn't realise he'd been looking over my shoulder.

I turn to face him. "Yeah" I admit. There's no point lying to him. If the truth about why I left Colorado is brought up from now, I'll tell him everything. That way, we'll both be getting what we want. Time for me and answers for Colby.

He holds out his hand, which I was not expecting. He wants to answer the call. What if Connor told him something that made Colby turn against me? But what if he can scare Connor off or him realise I've moved on?

"Wait! Before you leave, I have to beat Jasmine at Rocket League."

"Alright, Aaron. They're staying a bit longer," Colby informs him, then gestures for me to follow him across the hallway and into a lounge area.

My phone started ringing for the third time as we took a seat on the couch.

"He's an ex, I guess you could say. Just answer it," I it to Colby and he answers the call and puts it on speakerphone.

Before Colby is able to initiate the conversation, Connor speaks from the other end of the phone.

"Nice video, Ella"

I feel what's left of the colour in my face drain completely, my face left inanimate.

Colby worked out pretty quickly that I sure as hell wasn't going to speak to whoever was on the other end of the call.

(A.N: Please remember to vote, thanks!)