xxi : Drive

We exit the abandoned building and walk back to Colby's car.

"You're going to have to drive" he says apologetically while holding his sore hands up.

I hesitate slightly but nod, signalling to him that it's totally fine. Well, I have a license but I haven't driven in a while. I never owned a car but I learnt in my mother's.

Colby noticed my hesitation. "It's okay?" He questions again.

"Yeah," I speak slowly, "it's just that the last time I drove wasn't a good experience"

"What happened?" Colby asks me gingerly.

I shrug. "I'd rather not talk about it"

He nods in understanding. "I'll call Sam and-"

"No, I'll drive. It's fine" I interrupt. "Keys?"

He gestures to one of the front pockets in his jeans.

"Right" I dip my head in amusement and approach him.

From beside him, I slide my fingers into his pocket and grasp the car keys.

"I've never felt so exploited in my entire life" Colby jokes while looking at me.

"Shut up" I turn to the car and get in the drivers seat, placing the camera behind me, in the back seat. Our footage had been cut short.

Colby manages to open his door and slide into his seat but I already see that there is no way he can do his seat belt.

"Umm" he starts, but I'm already onto it.

I lean over him and pull the seat belt down and click it into place.

"Thanks" he says awkwardly.

"No problem" awkwardness is extremely contagious. It was clear to me that Colby felt vulnerable and out of his element. Embarrassed, perhaps.

I start the engine and reverse out without another word. I turn the car around and straighten it out onto the drive way.

It's night's completely dark now and the temperature has also dropped. Colby's hoodie kept me pretty warm, though.

"Are you're hands feeling okay?" I decide to ask, glancing over. He had his hands rested upwards on his thighs.

"Yeah, they're just throbbing a bit"

"Try holding them higher" I suggest.

Doing this would mean not so much blood was cycling though his hand, eliminating the throbbing sensation.

Colby pulls his feet up onto the seat and places his hands on top of his knees.

"Oh, that feels better" he realises after a short moment.

"Good" I smile.