maine x reader

this one's for blackknight_1024 this reader's a cyborg and it takes place in project freelancer! (3rd person pov) i love this one so much it was so much fun to write!!!

reader: feminine

Her eyes clinched shut, trying to block the pain. Her body jolted in all different directions, and she heard a blood curdling scream that sounded like something from a dying animal... Maybe it was her.

The electricity didn't seize, and she started to see malfunctions popping up through her eyesight. What do you want from me?! She screamed at her torturers from her mind, unable to actually form the words in her state.

The cyborg's ears perked up, catching gunshots in the distance. The volts shocking her body stopped, and she released her tight grip on the arms of the chair she was strapped to. Her body shook with exhaustion and pain, and her eyes drooped with the threat of passing out.

The door to her cold and dark room bursted open, and the sudden rush of light made her finch. A huge man with a shaved head rushed towards her with a full suit of armor. She would've shrieked if her throat wasn't already sore and raw from her previous screams.

"It's okay, it's okay!" The deep voiced man measured her, gently cutting off her restraints and scooping her up from the chair. "We're here to help," her rescuer made sure not to hold you roughly, careful not to put her into any more pain.

The girl suddenly relaxed in his arms, and her vision started to blur as they rushed her out of her prison. As she started to drift off, the man's quiet voice tingled her ear.

"We're the good guys."

***

The girl bolted awake, her chest heaving for air as if she had just suffered from a nightmare. When she looked around at her surroundings, her nerves didn't settle. The room was unfamiliar to her, and she had no idea where she was.

"You're awake," a deep voice sighed with relief from a dark corner in the room, but when he stepped out of the shadows she tried to scream. A golden visor showed her a distorted reflection of herself, and she instantly thought she was gazing into the dead eyes of an alien.

The soldier scrambled to get his helmet off. He had forgotten that he still had it strapped on from his previous mission. His small team of Freelancers had to get through an army of Insurrectionists just to find this girl.

When he tossed his alien-looking helmet to the floor, the girl relaxed completely.

It was the man who saved her. The man she owed her life to.

"Wh..." The girl tried to form words but failed when she realized her voice was gone. Probably from all of her screaming. "You were captured..." The soldier answered her unspoken question, stepping towards her.

She flinched at his approach, and a look of hurt flashed across his face for a split second. "They hurt you. But, they're not going to anymore," he lowered himself to the ground, showing her a look of concern.

"Where am..." The cyborg attempted to speak again, but her voice faded away with a sharp pain. She winced. "Project Freelancer. We're gonna keep you safe from the bad people," the soldier showed her a soft smile. The girl gazed at him for a moment.

She admired the way the left corner of his lips curled into a sort of smirk, and how he nonchalantly decided to sit criss-cross in front of her like he was listening to a campfire story. She even noticed the caring look in his brown eyes, and the way he focused on her completely.

It made her feel something unusual. She actually felt... warm inside.

The cyborg held up her pinky finger to the man, a shy gaze fixed on his. "I promise," the soldier chuckled under his breath and locked pinkies with the girl. She then poked a finger in his chest, which confused the brute greatly.

He cocked an eyebrow, "Huh?" The girl tapped him in the midsection again, sort of giggling as if he didn't get an obvious joke. "Oh," the soldier laughed, "Maine." He then proceeded to do the same gesture she did to him. The cyborg giggled.

"(Y/n)," she wheezed, holding her palm out for Maine to shake. He gladly expected with a content expression pouring over his face. They shared a smile, until something suddenly changed in (Y/n).

Tears started to form in her eyes as flashes of her torture started to seep through. Her heat pounded in her throat, and her joints suddenly began to slow. Fear pulsed through her veins. She couldn't shake the feeling.

"(Y/n)?" Maine lifted her chin, shocked to see tears flowing down the girl's cheeks in a continuous stream. The soldier almost gasped, pulling her into his chest. She was circled by his arms, and her shoulders shook with her abrupt weeps. Maine continued to stroke her hair, muttering soft words into her ear.

But for once in her life... (Y/n) felt safe.