maine x california

this one is for Silently-Screaming02 your oc is so adorable i loved writing this so much!! i hope you like it! (it's in third person btw)

(takes place in project freelancer)

"Cal," North's patronizing tone made the girl roll her eyes for the millionth time today. She seriously thought about picking up her food tray and leaving. "No," the black haired girl with cobalt-dyed tips sternly denied.

"You can't be serious," York agreed with his purple armored friend, eyeing California with a surprised look. "We've been through this a dozen times," she glared at her friends surrounding her at the lunch table, "No."

"You live in the same room with the guy, for crying out loud!" South exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air in exaggeration. "Shhh!" The group around her instantly silenced her, and Cal smothered her face with her hands in embarrassment.

"Just saying," South rolled her eyes dismissively, her voice now a bit quieter. "Cal," Wash suddenly spoke up, who has been silent and distant this whole conversation, "You can't keep this up. He deserves to know."

California took a moment to think, then nodded understandingly. Without another word, the cobalt-armored Freelancer stood up from the table and began marching to her room. Wash was right. He deserved to know...

And so did she.

***

The door to Cal's quarters slammed shut, but the girl didn't even bat an eye. She was used to it by now. Either it was him coming back from training with a temper, or the brute merely didn't know his own strength.

He stormed into their small room, chucking his helmet at the wall with such a force it left a dent. Cal chuckled under her breath, eating a bowl of popcorn as she watched some stupid soap opera that he always made of fun her for watching.

"Bad day?" The black haired girl smirked, raising an eyebrow at her roommate. He ignored her completely, his growls of rage sending sudden shivers up her spine. When he sat down on the edge of his bed with his head in his hands, her grin faded.

"Maine?" She approached her friend, her voice kind and soft. When her delicate hand touched his shoulder, he immediately brushed it off. An annoyed hiss told her he didn't want to talk. "Maine," Cal tried again, despite the brute's warnings.

He closed his eyes, feeling her weight settle beside him on the mattress. He seriously considered pushing her off to give him some space. But then again, Maine liked her presence there. There was a sense of comfort pouring over him as she gently rested her head on his shoulder.

"What's wrong?" Cal whispered, her breath quickly warming up the brute's shoulder. He growled softly. "Headaches are part of the deal, Maine. Can't you just tell him to log off?" The white-armored soldier suddenly snapped at her, taking the girl by surprise.

"Hey, asshole, I'm just trying to help!" She sassed back, getting off the bed and marching towards the corner of the room. Maine sighed, cursing the voice inside him that wouldn't shut up. It made him want to pound his head against the nearest wall.

The brute slowly approached her, guilt washing over him for the way he insulted her. He grumbled softly. California stayed gazing at the wall. He growled again.

When she didn't respond, just merely sighed, Maine gulped nervously. He stared down at her hand. After hesitating for a moment, he clasped his palm over hers. He felt her arm jerk away at first from shock, but then she relaxed completely.

He allowed himself to smile softly as she turned around to face him. "Maine," the cobalt-armored Freelancer exhaled, her eyes locking on their connected hands. With a gentle touch, the brute lifted the girl's chin with his free hand.

Their lips touched for a second, a bit unsure and shy. But, when they pulled away, they instantly missed the feeling of each other's lips. Just as California was drawing in a shaky breath, Maine smashed their lips together.

The kiss was filled with a new confidence, and Cal smiled when she felt his hand start to sweat against hers. Who knew Agent Maine would be the nervous type?

She heard a soft chuckle radiate from Maine's throat, and she pulled away from him to raise a questioning eyebrow. He growled lowly. Cal felt her cheeks heat up instantly as she gazed down at her attire. A white t-shirt that was four times her size stretched down to her knees, and the scent of Maine's musk and cologne swarmed her nose.

"Um... This? Your shirt? Well - It - You... No."