Chapter 31

~~~~ Klaus' POV: ~~~~

I touched the red bow tie around my neck and smiled, Rebekah would only tell me that the colour of Alex's dress was red, and as we were a couple we'd have to match, I didn't mind at all, what I did mind though was the fact that Alex wasn't in the room to help me get ready, usually she would be sitting on the bed making jokes about my cummerbund and what it was for. I turned from my reflection and walked over to her side of the bed and trailed my fingers down her pillow, her head was still indented in the soft fabric, her perfume lingered in the air and on my skin.

There was a knock on the bedroom door "Niklaus, our first guests have arrived, are you ready?" Alex asked through the door, a jolt of happiness slammed into my heart and I pulled open the door and smiled brilliantly at her, her red ball gown hugged her in all the right places, the lace of the torso showed her alabaster skin off perfectly. I was tempted to say that we weren't going and have her all to myself.

"You look beautiful" I mumbled, causing her to blush, pulling her into my arms I kissed her cheek and smiled when her blush spread across her face.

"You look rather dashing yourself," she said back with a smile that made me grin like a little kid, any compliment from her made me happy, she didn't give them often but when she did it was the best.

"Shall we?" I asked offering her my arm, she sent our room one last lingering look before putting her hand in the crook of my elbow, I lead her downstairs so we could greet the guests.

"I'm going to find Caroline," she said kissing my lips, she gracefully walked away from me, leaving me with Kol who was staring at the women who passed us, my eyes followed Alex until she met with the blonde Vampire across the room in a dress I knew Alex had brought for her, so she wouldn't be left out, they hugged and laughed quietly with each other before going to the bar.

"Uh, if everyone could gather, please" Elijah spoke from up the stairs, I plucked a glass off a passing waiter and escorted Alex back up the stairs so we could all stand as a family, I knew Alex's eyes scanned the crowd for her brothers, I wrapped my arm around her waist and stood just behind Kol, above all my other siblings, my mother came down the stairs slowly and stood close to my shoulder "Welcome. Thank you for joining us. You know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this, it's tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance" he gestured to our siblings and Alex who smiled at him "Tonight's pick is a centuries-old waltz, so if all of you could please find yourselves a partner, please join us in the ballroom"

"May I have this dance?" I asked Alex before Kol could, he pouted and went off to annoy someone else for a little while.

"You may" Alex replied with a giggle and a small curtsy, a smile lit up my face and I walked down the stairs with her on my arm, I was very proud that she was with me tonight, I like to show her off whenever I got the chance, just to show other men that I had the most beautiful women in the world, and she was all mine.

~ Elena's POV: After The Waltz ~

I knocked on the door Finn told me to come to when I could and waited for a moment, the door opened and Finn looked down the hallway "You're alone. Wise choice" he stepped back and let me in the room where Esther was waiting, while she burnt some herbs.

"It's only sage," Esther reassured me "I've spelled it so we can speak freely without fear of being overheard. That'll be all, Finn. Thank you" Finn nodded and left the room without another word "You must have a million questions for me, Elena. Please," she gestured for me to sit on the couch next to her.

"How are you alive?" I asked, looking at Esther with wonder "Are you a ghost or..."

"Not exactly," Esther said interrupting me quietly "When I died, the witch Ayana preserved my body with a spell. She was a close friend of mine, an ancestor of your friend Bonnie"