1.12 | Jail Cell Confessions + Steal A Breath

Posted on January 22, 2017 | Edited on April 16th, 2018

Dedicated to nandrajogdivya. Thank you dear for all your support! :*

| . . . C H AP T E R . . .  1.12 . 1 : J A I L - C E L L - C O N F E S S I O N S . . . |

I repeated when the officer had locked us in a cell holding. "It was just a brownie."

All he had to do was say one word for me to know he was starting to get mad. "Khushi."

No surprise there. He'd been like that for the past two hours.

"We get atleast one phone call, right?"

He inhaled deeply as if to calm himself before pointing out, "Sweet pea, do you not hear the rain and thunders outside? It's storming outside. Which phone line do you think is going to be working right now for us to get a phone call?"

I exclaimed - thanks to my headache. "Well do something! We can't stay stuck in jail!"

"We are stuck in jail until the storm clears, which by the sound of it, doesn't look like it will be any time soon. So, please. Stop asking so many questions and sit down."

Though one of our hands cuffed, it hadn't stopped me from pacing back and forth. I'd only managed to pull his hand from one side to the other each time. He hadn't complained thus far, but he lost his patience then. "But..."

He stood abruptly just as I turned to walk the other direction. His body blocked my path and I stumbled back a step. "I swear, Khushi, if you don't sit down right now, I will make you."

I gulped at what he threatened and let myself drop on the chair at once.

Outside the cell, the officer keeping an eye on us chucked. "Should have done that two hours ago."

Great. Now I had managed to irritate him too and he was speaking to Arnav as if they were old buddies and sympathizing with him. I wanted to scowl at him but some rational part of me stopped me.

I can only manage to stay silent for roughly five minutes before I try to get Arnav's attention. "Psht."

He closed his eyes to control his anger, turned to me, and reopened them. "What now?"

His black eyes bore into mine and I couldn't read them to tell what was on his mind. I asked in a small voice. "Can they atleast uncuff us? I mean, we're already locked up in a cell. What are we going to do?"

He shook his head, deeming my question not worthy of a verbal answer. I hated this silent treatment from him. I was usually the one giving them. I hated being at the receiving end.

I let my head rest on the wall behind me and pulled my feet up to my chest. "I'm sorry." Given my eyes were open, I noticed when he turned his head just a bit to let me know he had heard me. "I don't understand what happened but obviously it's my fault if you are mad at me."

He didn't answer for a minute. Then, he too sat back and asked in a calm tone, "Where did you find them?"

"What, brownies?" He blinked in answer and I replied, "They were in the desk in the room."

"And you didn't think it was a weird place to keep brownies?"

"Well, yeah, but..."

He sighed and expressed his thoughts, "And she still decides its okay to eat them."

I took offense. "Hey!" Not only was it rude to talk about someone who was present in third person, I also did not understand his statement. My head was pounding with this headache.