3.20 | Burning Calories

Posted: August 30th, 2020

| . . . C H A P T E R - 3 . 2 0 . . . B U R N I N G - C A L O R I E S . . . |

"Are you sure I can't convince you to let me drive you to work again?"

Slipping my hands inside the coat, I face Arnav for the nth time. "Yes, Arnav. It's my turn to take Aarav to school, remember? Stop butting in on our bonding time."

He grumbled things under his breath about how he wasn't butting in on that by simply wanting to be a good fiancé. Aarav claimed otherwise, siding with me. "Yes, you are."

"Oh, shut up." Arnav snapped at him, and I swatted his arm instantly.

I scolded him right back, "Child, Arnav." He couldn't be telling a child to shut up and expressing a glimpse of irritation he felt on him.

Aarav chuckled and I helped him put on his sweater vest. When it messed up his hair, he whined. "Look what you did now."

"Don't be such a perfectionist." I teased and fixed his hair back in place for him. "Go on. Shoes."

He ran off towards the entryway where his shoes were and sitting on the floor, started slipping his socks on. I took that moment to peck Arnav on the cheek wishing him a good day at the office and that I'd see him in the evening.

He stopped being his grumpy self with a concerned comment, "Drive safe."

I blinked at him in assurance before picking up my purse and putting the straps over my shoulder then getting Aarav's bag as well and joining him by the door. Just as we stepped out of the house, me holding Aarav's hand, Arnav yelled for Anjali and Lavanya to get down already so they could get to work too.

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

Reaching Irani House, Aarav and I walked to the elevator. It dinged before the doors opened and I stared ahead at the clutter. It was almost full as everyone had just piled in to go up to their individual floors.

One of the guys said, "Are you getting in or not?"

As if noticing my concern, Aarav took my hand and nudged me in. "It's okay."

My lips thinned into a forced smile and let him pull me inside the box that had me clench my muscles and stand stiff. Aarav stood in front of me and my hands moved to his shoulders, holding him there protectively so he wouldn't be squashed by the tall adults all around him. Within few seconds, the door opened at the 3rd floor, and a lot of them filed out. Normally I'd get out here too, but given I was taking Aarav to meet Sam, I stayed.

It stopped at floor 4 and 5 and by the time we got to the sixth, it was just Aarav and I. As we walked out, Aarav lifted his hand to hold my index finger, looking intimidated at being in a workspace that wasn't AR Fashion House. I offered him a comforting smile and within few seconds, knocked on the cabin door that belonged to Sam.

As the first time before the interview, he answered with 'Come in'. Pushing the door open, I walked in and Aarav followed. I greeted with, "How's the wife hunt going?" His eyes widened as I announced that in front of a stranger for him. I rolled my eyes, "He's a kid."

Aarav added, "And no one will believe a 6 year old." He left my hand, comfortable with having only two people in the room compared to a whole bunch of strangers. He walked off to the couch and settled at the other end of the same one Sam was seated on.

Sam gulped down his nervousness, realizing it was just a child I had said that in front of. "Who is this?" He asked me, but I didn't get the chance to answer.