2.1.5 | A Business Deal + Back To Her

Posted on August 13th, 2018

| . . . C H A P T E R - 1.5 (1) : A - B U S I N E S S - D E A L . . . |

[Two years ago]

I hear she's getting married... to Shyam.

I impatiently waited for my uncle, Manohar Sharma, to answer his damn phone call. He could not get off my back when he wanted me to help his friend and where is he now when I am ready to strike a deal?

At the fourth ring, finally, he answered with a scolding - no surprise there. "Arnav, is this a time to be calling anyone?"

I did not care if it was the middle of the night. Khushi's future was on the line here and I'd be damned if I let a person like Shyam be anywhere near her. If it were up to me, which I say it is, I would not even let him breathe in the same air as her. He's hurt Anjali already. No way am I letting him ruin Khushi's life too.

So, in clear words, I let him know. "I'll help your friend."

He was silent at first, probably rubbing sleep off to confirm he wasn't dreaming. Then, he asked in surprise. "Really?" After a quick yet brief pause, he added. "What do you want in return?"

There was this satisfaction growing inside of me because he could be many things, but he knew the reality of the world: there was a price for everything. Atleast, he was not underestimating me.

"Your word that you will not interfere in the deal I make with your friend."

He questioned, warily. "Why? What do you want from him?" When I do not give him that answer, he continued. "Arnav, he is a decent fellow. Whatever shrewd plans you are crafting to make my life tough again, leave him out of it."

I scoffed, "I think you have me confused with yourself."

Anger reflected in his tone as he attempted to insult me, "Why, you insolent..."

I cut him off, least interested in allowing him to waste my time. I have more important things to set in motion. "Save yourself the trouble, Mr. Sharma. I have no intention of giving your friend the lesser end of the stick. The deal will be on my terms and if your friend is half the man you say he is, then he'll see the terms to be more than favorable. Now, set up a meeting with him. I'll be there after my finals. And yes, do tell him that if he wants my help, then to stop looking for it elsewhere."

"Fine," he answered in a much-relaxed tone compared to earlier. He does know when the right time to pick a fight with me is. "I'll give him a call in the morning."

"Good."

"See you when you get here."

I countered, "Oh, no. Remember, you don't interfere."

"Yes, but..."

"You wanted me to help him and I am," I interrupted his argument, leas interested in lending him an ear as I knew he would only make it difficult for me to remain decent to him, "All you'll do is set up a meeting between us."

With that, I do not wait for any more arguments. I said what I wanted to. Without bidding properly, I end the phone call and make one more to a lawyer.

Sheikh had helped Anjali and me get our property back from my uncle and sort out the legalities to turn the business into a fashion house instead of construction that my parents had set up. Post that, whenever there is a business deal and a lawyer is needed to draft up the contract, I always reach out to him.

I think it's established. I trust very few people in life and in business, he is one I trust to always give me sound advice.

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .