3.24.5 | Midnight Coffees

Edited: January 31, 2021

| . . . C H A P T E R - 3 . 2 4 . 5 - M I D N I G H T - C O F F E E S  . . . |

[Lavanya]

I watched as Arnav and Khushi left with Aarav. I was about to follow, my mind on the fact that Aarav knew Sam and talked to him in a friendly manner. He almost never approved of people. He could be quite picky.

Just then, Sam asked. "Why is he leaving?"

I recalled how he'd just came in and hadn't heard Arnav's announcement. "He has a good enough reason."

"A reason that lets him leave with his ex-employee and her step-son when he came to the party as your date?" Sam arched a brow and I realized he may have been absent, but he was quick to pick up on details.

I wondered if it'd be a crime to tell him. After all... Arnav did announce it just now. Pretty sure it's no longer a secret. God, I can't begin to imagine the PR nightmare its going to be in the morning.

Sam snapped his finger in front of me to recapture my attention. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but atleast don't give me the impression that I'm that boring of a company that you zone out."

There was a smug grin on his face to imply humor, but do I spot insecurity? I wouldn't see why. He already belonged to quite a successful family. What did he have to be nervous about?

I returned a polite smile, "I was just thinking how much of a nightmare it'll be tomorrow."

"Nightmare?"

"Mhmm. Oh, and be ready to face ASR's wrath. Some of your employees have not left a good impression." I felt the need to warn him. He deserved a heads-up.

I started to walk around him when he stopped me again. "You're leaving already?"

"It is after midnight."

"So? You're an adult. Or do you still have to follow your parents' curfew?" He didn't realize the wounds he was pricking at. My facial expression must have hardened at the mention of my parents as his own face changed. His easy eyes registered a conclusion. "I said something wrong, didn't I?"

"Don't worry about it," I eased his guilt because it was not his fault.

How was he to know anything about my life? But... it was that thought itself that I recalled Arnav's words. The words he insisted on every now and again. To have a life of my own. To stop using work and Aarav as an excuse to keep my life on hold. He kept trying to get me to see that I didn't need to be there for Aarav 24x7. I did get his point. There were many people now to take care of Aarav. It was not the two of us struggling to make everything work. There were s a lot of good people in our lives now.

"So... does this ruin my chances of getting you to agree for that coffee date in the future?"

I tested him, "How about now?"

His eyes widen at first. Perhaps startled at the response that I agreed, or that I suggested we go now. He might not be ready for that. Only, he recovered quicker than I imagined he might. I said it to test him, see how serious he was or if he was just going to waste my time - be all talk and nothing more. "I don't mind. But are you sure you want coffee in the middle of the night?"

"It's not like I have a curfew." I pointed out, answering his previous question as well.

He waved his hand outwards, "After you."

I had no idea what I was doing. I haven't dated since my first year of college, and that feels like ages ago. Six years. It may as well be ages ago. Then, I tell myself. This is Sam. Khushi works for him. Aarav considers him a friend. He can't be all that bad. I have nothing to worry about.