1.12.5 | Still In There

Posted on January 27, 2017 | Edited on April 18th, 2018

| . . . C H A P T E R . . . 1. 1 2 . 5 . . . S T I L L - I N - T H E R E . . . |

L A V A N Y A . . .

At the end of the work day, I walked out of the building. I couldn't wait to get home and see Aarav. He made everything better for me.

By the time I reached my car, I noticed the figure leaning back against the hood of the car, waiting for me. He glanced up as if hearing me coming to a stop and his eyes met mine. Then, he gave me a look over, seeing the clothes I was dressed in as well as how I must have changed physically in the past two years.

I fixed the straps of my purse on my shoulder as I resumed walking to close the distance between us. He too pushed off the car to stand on his own feet. I took looked at him from head to toe. His shirt was wrinkled in ten different ways. His eyes were sunken in as if exhausted and he hadn't slept in ages the way he had dark circles. I could smell the alcohol on his body.

I tried to not let it show on my face as I questioned, "Vivek. What do you want?"

His lips turned up sideways, "Lavanya, is that some way to greet your older brother?"

I scoffed, "Really, now? Brother? You're the one who always insists we shared nothing. What do you want? Ran out of money. Is that why I am suddenly your sister?"

He rolled his eyes irritated, but even he very well knew I was saying the harsh truth. Else, the past two years, I had not once seen him. the only time I hear from him is the end of the month when he texts to remind me to deposit money into his account. The money dad left for me. He might have disowned me first and then died, ashamed over my actions, and being his only blood heir, it came down to me. It left me in charge and each month, I'd give Vivek his share of the money.

He didn't want anything to do with it at first, telling me my dad wasn't his father. And then, he turned into a gambler when he'd drink more than he could handle. Eventually, even he used his brain and realized he needed to use that money to pay off his debts. Sadly, it only enabled him to become an addict.

"Whatever," he muttered suddenly put off. "Just give me the check, alright?"

I sighed, trying to not let anger get between us. The only reason I was mad was because he kept making it hard for me to reach out to him. So, instead of answering, I asked. "What are you doing here, Vivek? Is everything okay?"

He narrowed his eyes at me, "Ofcourse everything is okay. What do you mean? I'm just here for my money."

I shook my head, insisting, "Something is the matter. I know it. I'm your sister, remember? If you just wanted your money, you'd text me like you always do. You wouldn't drag yourself here and inflict it on yourself to have to see my face."

He insisted otherwise, "Why don't you see a mental doctor Lavanya? I'm starting to think you're delusional."

I rolled my eyes. He could take digs at me however many times he wanted but he couldn't conceal his thoughts from me. He'd always try to say hurtful things to get me to back off but I had learned to not let it get to me over the years.

"My check."

As much as I started to worry something was wrong and he wasn't telling me about it, I tried to not pester. Doing so would only push him away. Him coming all the way to Mumbai from Shimla... or wherever he had moved to after, he was in trouble. I just knew it in my bones.

I swallowed the worry, "I'll, uh, get it deposited in your account tomorrow."

"Write it for me? I'll do it myself."