3.3.5 | One Roof

Posted: July 2017 | Edited: December 3rd, 2019

| . . . C H A P T E R . . . . 3 . 3 . 5 - O N E - R O O F  . . . |

I was going to go home with Anjali, when she said she would manage on her own, leaving Armaan with me to decide what to do. "Basketball?"

"This late?" I questioned, and he shrugged his shoulders. I went along, "Oh, what the hell."

And so, we went to the nearest basketball court. We both needed to unwind and being on this court once again with Armaan as the opponent brought back memories of the teenage days.

I commented while dribbling, "You know, I used to think you were so arrogant. Never having to worry about fitting in. Always the popular one. Even today."

He laughed in response, "Hey, being a celebrity is not the best career move."

"Neither is studying to be a doctor at the same time."

He aimed the ball at the hoop with a flick of the wrist and scored. "No... it isn't. But I can't let go of either. I love singing and being famous is that thing I need to change things... never feel powerless again. And wanting to be a doctor... it helps me do something. Something more important with my life."

"Making music is something." I offered when he passed the ball.

He walked backwards. I moved to the center line, aiming for the center when he bounced the question I hadn't anticipated, "What are your intentions with Khushi?"

With my hands still overhead holding the ball in my palms, my eyes flickered over to him. He had his hands on his hips, looking defensive and protective as ever when it comes to Khushi. "What are you getting at?" I questioned his underlying tone.

I tried to not think much into it when I throw the ball but he stuck to his tone, "What I am getting at is what are your intentions? I know you both agreed on getting married just for our parent's sake."

I reminded him in case he's forgotten, "A lot has happened since then, Armaan."

"Which is why I am asking." We were here to play basketball, but that didn't seem to be happening as we sat against the fence that surrounded the court. "She's living with you, Arnav. We are both men. You can't blame me for asking."

I took the ball from his hand and spun it around on the floor. Watching it turning with speed, I answered. "I know the reality, Armaan. You don't have to worry about my intentions." I glanced sideways at him to check if he believed me. He didn't look as defensive as before. I exhaled after picking up the ball and passing it in his direction. "My intentions for her have always been pure."

The tension in his muscles relaxed as he accepted the ball and played with it, passing it over from one hand to the other. "I know... but still, I don't know why I doubt that sometimes."

I honestly didn't take offense to that or hold this against him. "I get it, man. I don't think I could ever trust any guy completely with Anjali either."

We tried not to be the over-protective, alpha male chauvinists who feel the need to protect their females, feel the need to save the day... but at the end of the day, we somewhere turn into that for a few passing seconds when it comes to being brothers who have seen their sisters suffer through hell at the hands of guys looking for mere entertainment. Guys like Vivek and Shyam who aren't scared of the consequences because of the society we live in. Guys who are never reprimanded as kids by parents and instead treated as if they were gem and a blessing on the world for their existence. They start thinking of themselves to be better than others and untouchable. They believe themselves to be entitled and that ideology is just sick.