2.9 | Something So Harmless + Two-Way Street

Posted on May 5th, 2017 | Edited on October 19th, 2018

| . . . C H A P T E R - 2.9.1 : S O M E T H I N G - S O - H A R M L E S S . . . |

An employee from the reception brought the food up to the cabin. I cleared my mind at once, taking in that delicious aroma. Then, I frowned noticing Arnav was still working. Leaning over the table in between us, I pushed the screen down - making sure to not completely shut it in case there was something important he was working on that hadn't been saved.

See, I wasn't completely inconsiderate.

He snapped for a second, "What'd you do that for?"

It was a fact he didn't like to be disturbed when working and also a fact that he could work for hours at a time without getting distracted.

I gave him a scolding look for his tone didn't scare me, "Would you be working had we actually gone out for lunch someplace?"

He seemed to realize my point and his expression softened. "Sorry," he said and putting the laptop away, cleared the middle of the table.

Grinning, I placed the brown paper bag there and pulled out the contents. I questioned the amount of food, "You eat all this? On a regular basis?"

He chuckled opening one of the plastic lids, "Ofcourse not. Sandy said there was a new combo so I went with it. All new food needed to be tried atleast once."

Well, I couldn't argue there. Nothing wrong in experimenting with food. There was Alfredo with pesto sauce, French fries, cold drinks, and... Wait. "I'm pretty sure French fries are not Italian."

"Pretty sure?" He teased as if it was something I should know. When I squinted my brows meant to scold, he laughed before explaining, "They aren't. I just feel any take out lunch is incomplete without them. So, Sandy always packs them in for me specially."

I have to shake my head at how he manages to get special treatment wherever he goes. "Royal treatment must feel so... royal."

He scolded lightly, "Hey, no comments on my French fries."

"Jeez, possessive much?"

He grinned from ear to ear, "Only for French fries."

This Arnav... he reminded me of college times. Not the CEO of AR Fashion House.

It felt carefree enough that I reached forward to try and steal one, only to have him swat my hand and foil my attempt.

The playfulness running in the atmosphere turned serious when his fingers touched mine. I swallowed the food in my mouth harshly, trying to not let it show on my face but I was internally grimacing and scolding myself for even attempting it without thinking it through.

He asked, noticing my smile disappear, "Hey... you okay?"

I placed my hand under my thigh as if my own warmth would fight his lingering touch off while I attempted to return to our carefree attitude. "I would be if you'd share your fries."

I thought I won. Key word: thought. "Well then, I am fine with you not being fine."

My jaw dropped. "Meany!"

I think this was the first time I tried to take advantage of how someone's touch made me feel. I can't believe I just did that but for the time being, I decided to let my mind rest. I decided to stay in the moment rather than overthinking everything.

He mocked, "Did you just call me meany?"

"So?"

He tried to fight back his laugh and biting his bottom lip to keep from it. "So? So, who even says meany?"