1.15 | Memories + About Last Night

Originally Published on February 23, 2017 | Edited on April 25th, 2018.

Dedicated to Arshi_Angel. Thank you dear! Read through earlier comments and lucky to have such sweet readers <3

| . . . C H A P T E R . . .  1.1 5 . 1 : M E M O R I E S . . . |

A cup of hot chocolate was placed on the table with a smiley drawn in it. I glanced up from my algebra homeswork thinking it was Arnav but found the café employee instead. From having spent enough afternoons here studying, I'd learned to remember her name was Emma. "I didn't order this."

Emma nodded towards the window behind me, "He did."

I turned around. Outside the café was Arnav. My brows drew together in confusion wondering why he was outside. He pointed towards his phone and then typed something. Seconds later, I received his message.

Arnav: I forgot I have a group project thing right now. Sorry, raincheck tomorrow?

Ah. This hot chocolate with a smile was meant to be an apology for making me sit here for the past twenty minutes waiting for him.

I typed back.

Khushi: It's okay. Good luck with you project. (:

Khushi: Your*

I turned back to see him read the reply and then look up at me with blinking in understanding. Some people, I'm guessing his group partners, walked up to him and they left in the direction of the library.

I thanked Emma. She replied with a wink. "Anything for Arnav's girl."

"What?"

She stated as a matter of fact, "Surely he's asked you out. He wouldn't do so much if..."

I remember last night... something I am still trying to wrap my brain around. Had that really happened? Somewhere, it was a relief that he had this project to complete because otherwise... I didn't know how to act around him.

I corrected her, "You've got it wrong. We're friends."

She chuckled, not believing me. "Right, friends." She nodded a goodbye and went back to work.

I returned to my homework but it kept bothering me of the assumption she was making - not to forget our moment from last night which had been playing on repeat ever since.

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

It was past midnight when I decided to go running on campus because I couldn't sleep. I came to a stop when Arnav jogged over from behind me. My hands went to my knees as I hunched over panting and grasping for ear, pulling my headphones out.

"I was calling you but I guess you didn't hear because of headphones," he pointed out before asking, "Are you okay?"

I winced as I stood upright. "Mhmm." He continued to look at me in disbelief, causing me to work on catching my breath and offer up an explanation, "Remember one of the resolutions? Join sports again."

He nodded, "Sure, what about it?"

"I didn't tell anyone this - not even Riddhima or Armaan. She didn't know so she added it to the list."

He said my name, "Khushi," as if figuring out I was stalling and explaining what didn't need to be to justify Riddhima's actions.

I sighed in defeat. "Right. Okay... well, you see... I - uh - long story short, I can't put too much strain on my abdomen. It starts to hurt."