3.2 | Always Three Things

Posted: July 9th, 2017 | Edited: November 13, 2019

The last day of the shoot came sooner than I wanted it to. I missed the first day since Arnav claimed I was 'sick'. The second day had been tough with the gossips I kept catching. Apparently, word had spread that Arnav had answered my phone and now, they were all making all sorts of speculations. I didn't think anyone was there but that same night, someone had spotted me and Arnav by his door when he had... kissed my cheek. They must have also seen me going back to his room which added fire to the gossips.

I didn't let it get to me, ofcourse. This time, I knew better. I wasn't the same immature teenager from college. I wasn't going to react the same way, but it didn't make it easier to ignore them. Eventually, I had let Payal deal with the models. Honestly, my job was to simply design the dresses. I was not the stylist. If I didn't have to be featured on the back cover of the calendar, I wouldn't even be here.

Payal rushed me, "Come on, Khushi. Go change. Felix is already unhappy with running being behind schedule."

It made no sense. "How are we behind?"

Payal shrugged her shoulders, "He's a control freak when it comes to getting things done on time. Just go change into your outfit so we don't have to deal with any more of his temper tantrums."

"I swear, he can give Arnav a run for his money." I muttered. I used to think Arnav was hardcore when it came to business. But, no. Felix took that to another level. This man had no chill.

Payal sat in the chair opposite mines and gave me a concerned look, "Khushi, you know what people are saying, right?"

"About?"

"You and ASR, Khushi." She clarified, "I'm saying this because I consider us friends. He's our boss. And from what I see, you're engaged and I don't think you're the type to get yourself involved in office drama. So what are you doing calling him by his name and being so casual around him? You're not helping yourself. You know how our society is. They're not going to give him a tough time because they're scared of him and he is the boss and a guy, but the more this continues, the tougher it could be for you."

I smiled at her and assured, taking the dress from her, "Payal, really, thanks for looking out for me, but you don't have to worry about me. I'll see you in a few." I could tell that she wanted to argue and wasn't convinced that I had a handle on it, but I still got up to leave for the changing room in the studio.

I observed the dress. No, scratch that. Calling it a dress would be wrong. It was a saree. I leaned against the door, feeling helpless. I couldn't wear a saree. I had never worn one in my life. Why? I looked up at the ceiling as if questioning some higher being for the turmoil's He kept putting me through.

At the knock on the door, I assumed it was Payal checking up on how much longer I would take. "Just a minute, Payal."

"It's me." Feeling a glimmer of hope, I moved away from the door and opened it. Arnav's eyes roamed at what I was wearing, the business pants from earlier and a top. I grabbed his arm before he could question why I hadn't changed yet and dragged him inside. "What the..."

"Hush." I silenced him, locking the door again.

He crossed his arms over his chest, raising a brow at my actions, "Why aren't you changed yet?" He still asked the question I didn't want him to.

I took the hanger where the saree was, and pushed it against his chest, "One, it's a saree. I've never worn a saree in my life before. Two, I have no knowledge about make-up. I don't want my face to be all caked up. Three, why do I have to be featured? I don't get it. The name of AR designs will be on it. Isn't that enough? I don't need the credit. I mean, I do work for the fashion house. The world doesn't need to know what I look like."