2.5 | Breaking Point + Sick Joke

Posted on April 06th, 2017 | Edited on September 4th, 2018

| . . . C H A P T E R - 2.5.1 : B R E A K I N G - P O I N T . . . |

After dinner, Anjali insisted on showing us the house. I had no interest as I just wanted to go back to our penthouse, but I had no choice except to follow when Armaan and Riddhima followed her.

We turned a corner and walked down some stairs to reveal a pool area. My mood uplifted at once as I gazed upon the reflection of the open sky in the water. I glanced up at the starry gaze in the vast night sky and exhaled peacefully - for the second, forgetting where I was and just admiring the view. "This has got to be the best place in this house."

"Really?" Anjali said, "Then I think you'll love your new room."

She might have meant it innocently, but my smile faltered just a bit. If she noticed, she chose to ignore it. "Come, let me show you."

Eagerly, she walked off towards the sliding doors that opened to the pool area on the other side. Riddhima placed her hand on my back to give me a slight nudge. Again, without a choice of my own, I followed the group inside the room.

I don't know what I was expecting, but this was certainly not it. I was taken aback at the personal touch. It was nothing like I recalled his dorm room to be from the few times I had been there. That dorm room had no personal items on the walls. No pictures. Nothing. But this room... there were photo frames hanging on the wall, paintings as well. The walls were painted in a light blue color. There was a soft rug over the marbled floor. Furniture consisted of a four-poster bed, dresser, a sitting area with a coffee table in between, a lounge chair, and two mahogany cupboards next to each other acting as a closet where his clothes must be stored. Despite it all, the room was spacious with more than enough room to walk about.

I had been so lost looking around this room that was Arnav's that I didn't realize when the others had walked out to continue touring rest of the house and it was just me and Arnav.

He cleared his throat to get my attention, "Listen, about Aarav..."

I cut him off, "I don't care." There was surprise on his face, but I continued, "Sorry, I know it's rude, but he is yours and Lavanya's son. Nothing to do with me."

"Khushi..."

I was adamant on not talking about this and I added, "We may not even be getting married anyway."

His lips pressed shut together and I started to walk towards the exit of the room. Just as I reached the doorway, he stopped me. "Wait." I turned to face him. He was walking towards his closet. After some ruffling, he pulled out a file and walking towards me, held it out.

"What's this?" I asked as I accepted it. Since he remained silent, waiting for me to see to it myself, I opened the file and turned it around seeing it was upside down.

I skimmed the official legal documents, focusing on names mostly. My dad's business. Arnav's name. My name. Transfer of power.

"I've already signed them."

I blinked up at him when he informed and I flipped the page to the second page where on the line, his sign was there. "What's this supposed to mean?"

"I told you. It was never about his business," he repeated the words he had back at the beach.

What was it in his eyes that he was trying to conceal? Hurt, perhaps? But what does he have to be hurt about? I am the one hurt finding out Aarav is his son and that everything he has ever told is a lie. That he never trusted me to tell me such a big part of his life.