3.23 | Different Light

Edited: November 06, 2020

| . . . C H A P T E R - 3 . 2 3 - D I F F E R E N T - L I G H T . . . |

Anjali decided she would rather attend the Valentines party hosted at AR with Aman. When Arnav confirmed he'd received an invitation from Sam, I asked him to bring Lavanya as his plus-one. And, given we couldn't leave Aarav at home since Kripa had a work obligation - though I'm sure that's Angad's doing, I solved the problem by saying I would bring Aarav as my plus-one. I was supposed to bring someone anyway and given everyone else were already taken, it would be perfect to bring Aarav. That way, all 4 of us would be there and Anjali would be enjoying in her own.

I was dressed in a red evening gown, keeping with the Valentines colors. A pearled border adorned around the waist that took it up across the chest and into a two-inch-wide shoulder strap. The other shoulder had a thinner strap in comparison. The gown only accented my curves up till the border. Rest of it flowed down till the floor.

It didn't make me uncomfortable and that's what I cared about.

Arnav was waiting downstairs with everyone else already. I needed to work on my timing. Since I never took longer to get ready, I hadn't started to change until half hour ago. Turns out, I was late because of that. Actually, I'd have to hate my gown for it. It was hard to zip it up on my own and I was too stubborn to call for help because then they'd all tease me over how I should have let Lavanya help me the first time around when she'd offered.

I made sure to get Anjali to take my picture with Arnav, but it turned into a half hour picture session as everyone wanted to get pictures taken with each other individually and into various pairings. This was the first event after our wedding, so no one really complained over the gazillion pictures being taken. At the last picture, Arnav placed the camera in timer mode and we all got together to have a group picture.

Afterwards while Lavanya helped Aarav into his shoes and Anjali returned the camera to her room, I stood in front of Arnav. "Well, here's to a night filled with distance." We were both going to be in a ballroom but separately.

He offered a smile as the back of his fingers brushed over my cheek. "Don't worry, you'll always have my first dance."

I smiled back, love erupting in my heart and leaning into his touch. The little things like this.

"Marvelous." He single-worded compliment had my cheeks blushing. That, and his scorching intense gaze from his dark brown eyes.

Lavanya cut in with her own sassy compliments, "Gorgeous. Check. Sexy. Check. All of the above. Check. Now let's go." She pulled at his arm, "Sorry Khushi, love you and all, but he's my responsibility for the night and this little one of ours is yours." She moved me to stand next to Aarav to back up her words.

I sighed a long one, "Just keep the other ladies at bay."

"You got it." She backed me up.

I smiled with nostalgia recalling the very first social gathering I had attended here in Mumbai where I had been pissed off at Arnav for dancing with Lavanya. I had said that he could dance with anyone but her. Fast forward half a year, and here we are. She was the one I now fully trusted with him. No qualms about it at all.

Who would have ever thought things would change as such for the better? I gained a wonderful friend in the form of this brilliant woman whom I've learned to look up to.

Aarav and I parted ways in my car while Arnav and Lavanya in hers. It was futile to take both cars, but we couldn't arrive together either. This was silly, but oh well. I made it there before them.