1.13 | Few Words + Evening Activities

Published on February 2, 2017 | Edited on April 20th, 2018

| . . . C H A P T E R . . . 1. 1 3 . 1 : F E W - W O R D S . . . |

Arnav's voice startled me as I walked towards the kitchen. We were back on campus and I hadn't expected him to be here this early. "You sure you should be going to class?"

"Geez!" My hand flew to my chest when my heart leaped at his sudden voice, "Stop sneaking up on me like that, Raizada. Don't you ever live at your own place?"

Instead of answering, he got up from the dining chair and walked over to stand in front of me. He seemed to be scanning my face for something.

I narrowed my eyes. "What?"

"Do you still have fever?"

"No." It had been running the past two days.

He didn't believe me since he lifted his hand to check for himself. Before the back of his fingers could touch my forehead, I took a tiny step back. His hand halted mid-air, his eyes locking with mine.

I added looking away and tightening my fingers around the strap of my bookbag, "I need to go, okay? It's the first exam of the semester. I can't miss it."

His hand dropped to his side as he requested, "Can you wait a minute?"

When I nodded, he went into the kitchen. A minute later, he returned with a glass of lemonade. No words were exchanged as he placed the glass on the table and returned to his chair.

There seemed to be some warm feeling inside of me at the gesture which I attempted to push back. He wasn't making a big deal out of it. I shouldn't either.

But heck, the only guys who would have done something like making me lemonade so I'd have some sort of energy fueling long enough to give an exam while burning in fever were Armaan and Angad.

And now, Arnav... the things he did so casually.

I picked it up as he put his headphones on and continued to study.

I thanked him after but he showed no recognition of having heard it.

I took a pen out of my bookbag and picking up a sticky pad from the counter which we used to write down needed groceries, I wrote it down. Then I pushed it towards him and waited for him to read it.

He glanced up after he had, with a secretive smile on his lips that I didn't miss. "Your welcome."

Someone could take this moment to be as nothing. But each time it told me just how much he was doing for me. He didn't have to care for me like this, make sure I ate all my meals or that if I still had a fever, then stop his studying to take a minute and make me lemonade so I wouldn't feel sluggish while giving my exam. The deal was for him to help me, not become a person who always looked out for me.

In the past two days, I had noticed. He would text me to remind me to get out of bed and eat something and that if I was feeling too sick, then to ask Kripa to get me something.

I could only hope with these two words I wrote down that he knew... I was thanking him not simply for the lemonade but for everything he was doing for me that he didn't need to.

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

I returned to the apartment after my exam as I didn't have any other class for the day to witness Kripa throwing things out of her room. One of the shirts fell on my head. "Kripa!" I scolded for she was one of the messiest person I knew. That that was saying a lot as I used to think Angad was messy in a disgusting way.