1.20 | Empty Promises + One Way Street

Originally posted on March 19, 2017 | Edited on May 11th, 2018.

| . . . C H A P T E R  . . . 1. 2 0 . 1 : E M P T Y - P R O M I S E S . . . |

Kripa kept on trying to convince me to go to this Valentine's ball. "C'mon, Khushi. Why are you so boring? You were so happy a few days ago. Are we not friends or do you hold that cheerful attitude only for Angad? It's Valentine's Day for crying out loud!"

"Exactly, Kripa. Valentine's Day. I would need a date, you know?" I used the excuse, wanting to go back into a bubble where Arnav didn't exist. Where I didn't feel his pinch of betrayal. Where he didn't break his empty promises to me.

I felt a fool to fall for them.

She continued to press as I helped her set her curls, "Oh, who really cares? There'll be tons of people who come as friends. You don't have to celebrate with a guy, you know? I want you to come, please?"

"No way." I denied, "I don't fancy being a third-wheel. This is technically your first date with Aaron."

She blushed slightly at the mention and I couldn't help but smile at that. "Please! That's why you need to come. I am so nervous. I've never been on a real date. I need you there as my support system. Just come for a while? I won't take no for an answer."

My mind blanked as I tried to come up with another believable excuse but failed to produce one. She got up, walked to her closet, and returned with a hanger. Forcing it in my hand, she demanded, "Go change. Now!"

She turned me around and pushed me towards the bathroom.

With a defeated sigh, I look at the dress in my hand. I've always ended up giving in to my friends' pleas. Kripa wasn't lying about being nervous. Deciding to suck it up, I get into the dress.

Instantly, I hated how it clung to my skin but I was determined. Just days ago, I had convinced Angad that I could do this and had sent him back to Mumbai - after he took a detour to the exchange university Riddhima was at so he could make amends to their friendship. Now, I wasn't going to back out of those assurances I had given to him because of someone who had been a part of my life only recently.

Arnav had once told me not to let him win by having power over me. Well, I was going to show him. I will not let Arnav have power over me either. I will show him I could survive just fine without him. I didn't need him. I was determined to return to my old self - maybe even better.

I returned to Kripa's room and she whistled, "You're looking hot, babe."

I somewhere cringed and the mischief left her face. As I had promised her, I did explain to her what had happened that night and my rape.

Her expression turned to that of concern. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."

I forced a smile, "It's okay." I glanced over at the dress she'd changed into. "That's beautiful. Wherever did you buy it?"

She gushed looking down at it, "Isn't it? It was a Christmas gift."

"I should buy one just like this for Riddhima."

She laughed before answering, "Wish that was possible; then we could be twinning. But, unfortunately, this is an exclusive piece. One of its kind."

I gaped at her, "Are you serious? Where do you get the money to buy this? Must have been expensive."

She chuckled, "Na, told you. It was a gift. Just cost me a loving cousin who deems it okay to interfere in my life whenever he pleases." Ah. Arnav. After seeing that summer house, I guess he did have the kind of money to obtain an exclusive piece. "You know, I'm still surprised he's letting me go without a fuss! Lavanya being here must be a good thing."