3.5.5 | Find A Balance

Posted: July 2017 | Edited: December 30th, 2019

| . . . C H A P T E R . . . . 3 . 5 . 5 - F I N D - A - B A L A N C E . . . |

I pulled Khushi's hand, twirling her about and bringing her to my chest. My arms enveloped around her back, hugging her tightly. I whispered, my lips grazing her ear, "Stop scaring me like this, Khushi."

When I woke up, she wasn't anywhere in the house. She had left early in the morning to come to the office. I hadn't known she was at the office because she hadn't left a note or a text or anything. I had just woken up, and all I knew was that she wasn't there. How reckless can she be to not inform anyone? There have been messages from Vivek stalking her and Shyam has threatened Anjali di.

My brain had rushed to think the worst... that one of them could have been involved.

Her palm resting against the back of my shoulders was assurance that she was okay even as she tried to lean back from my crushing embrace. "I'm fine, Arnav. I just thought..."

I pulled back cutting her off, my voice still on edge. "No, you weren't thinking. How long does it take to leave one message, huh? One second? Do you have any idea what all just went through me as I drove here like a maniac?"

Rather than admitting her fault, she slammed back. "You're telling me? How long does it take you to pick up your phone and call me to check where I am before driving like a maniac? You have no regard for your life or anyone else who's on the road either, do you?"

I stood in front of her, baffled. My arms dropped to my side, surprised at her anger. Shouldn't I be the one upset with her? "I... I wasn't..."

"Exactly," She stepped back and crossed her arms over her chest. "And you say I don't think."

I asked in confusion, "Wait, why are you getting mad at me? I'm supposed to be mad at you for being careless."

"And now I am mad at you for being reckless. We're even." Saying so, she turned her back and returned to her work.

"Khushi..."

But, rather than staying to listen and sort this out, she picked up her stuff and left the catalogue room. I couldn't very well follow her downstairs onto the main floor because that would only put her further at odds with me. And, she would have no qualms about yelling at me in front of everyone either. I wouldn't care what others would think, ofcourse, but I just didn't want her angry with me.

We had such a wonderful evening last night. Everything was perfect. From the dress to my bracelet. From the launch to walking the ramp. From the dance to going back home. From the roses to my confession.

Then, why did we wake up this morning on the wrong side of the bed?

Fuck. I don't understand relationship. Didn't I have a right to be panicking and scolding her a little for her mindless action of leaving in the morning instead of waiting to come with me at our usual time? How did it turn into her being pissed at me instead?

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

The morning started to pass and I couldn't concentrate on work. Not when Khushi was mad at me. This was not how I had imagined the day would do when I had woken up this morning. With a frown, I dropped then pen on the open file. What was the point holding it when I wasn't able to make the corrections I needed to? Leaning back in the chair, I let my head fall back and tilt up towards the ceiling.

Exhaling, I closed my eyes recalling the very moment in the morning when I realize Khushi wasn't home. The panic and the fear that had started to take root in the depth of my heart. I was terrified that something could have happened to her. Maybe she was right, I should have called first before assuming the worst. But, in that moment, it was as if my brain decided to shut off instantly. It only went in one direction.