2.21 + 2.22 | To The Beach + His Battles

Posted on June 19th, 2017 | Edited on November 23rd, 2018

| . . . C H A P T E R - 2.21 : T O - T H E - B E A C H . . . |

On our way to the nearest pizzeria, he had pulled the top down. The peaceful feeling when the night breeze blew against my hair and face was something I absolutely found to be peaceful.

For some time, I just stared up at the clouded sky. We weren't deep into winter, but it was the onset and the nights were chillier than days. I snuggled into the jacket and reached forward to turn on the radio and switched through the stations until I came across a song I liked.

Somewhere in the middle of the song, I turned from looking out the window and staring at nothing in particular to gaze at Arnav. I truly did not appreciate everything he's always done for me. The last couple of years, at almost all of my panic attacks, he had been there to pull me out of it. He never asked too many questions after. He always made sure I was okay. He may not say anything directly to me, but in his own way from the sidelines, he kept an eye out for me.

If he hadn't, he wouldn't have noticed the night of New Year in college that I was uncomfortable at the beach crowd. He wouldn't have known to ask if I would hold his hand. He wouldn't have known to take me away from the crowd so I could relax. Now that I think about it, there were many more instances when we may have been surrounded by others, but he still kept checking up on me.

"Thanks, Arnav."

He briefly turned to me, and then back at the road ahead. "What for?"

"For always looking out for me even I may have thought I didn't need it." I offered the answer in one statement. If I started listing every single thing I had to be thankful for, it would be a very long list that may not end even after we had finished dinner.

He smiled, and there was something different in his smile.

"What?"

"What?" He asked back, not understanding my question.

"Your smile... it's different."

He squinted his brows, challenging. "Smiles can be different?"

I nodded, "Yes, just like tones and expressions - especially when you don't smile that often. I didn't even say anything that would have made you smile like that." I made an observation for myself.

It only made him smile wider - the fact that I had said something different but didn't even know it. "When you figure it out, let me know." He handed me the task.

It raised my determination level. I kept on replaying the conversation in my head, but couldn't pin-point it. I had only said thanks. "Come on, can't you just tell me?" I asked when he had pulled the car in front of the pizza place.

He timidly refused. "Where would be the fun in that?" He opened the door and motioned for me to enter first.

The place was almost empty. Perhaps because it was a weekday, and close to 9 pm. We took an empty booth by the window - we had many options to choose from. I already knew I wanted a plain and simple cheese pizza. I wasn't in the mood for any toppings.

I tapped my fingers on the table, waiting impatiently for a server to come and take our order. She should have no reason to make us wait given there were only two other tables being occupied, and both of those tables seemed to already have their food served. His hand came atop mines, stopping my movements. "Stop that." He said, making me aware of how it was irritating for him.

I did, but that movement transferred over to my feet as I shook them up and down. I was looking around, not noticing his glare. When I did feel him looking at me, I switched my gaze to his. "What?" I questioned, squirming under his intense gaze.