3.13 | Irani House

Edited on August 7th, 2020

| . . . C H A P T E R . . . 3.13 - I R A N I - H O U S E . . . |

Arnav's arms held me against his back, standing behind me. "It's over, love." He placed his chin on my shoulder, looking at me from the reflection in the mirror.

Was it though?

I couldn't help but feel skeptical. I shouldn't be. I should be rejoicing in the fact that he was behind bars now. Even though the last two weeks had been nothing short of horror, it made me wonder if it ended too soon. We had suffered due to his actions for years: Anjali for 7 years and 4 years for me. And it had all ended with him arrested in less than 24 hours.

He had evaded us so long... and all it took is Armaan speaking in a press conference along with Arnav telling the people of India what Shyam had done, give the detectives the rape kit and a sample of Aarav's hair to confirm that the kidnaper and the serial rapist was Shyam, along with Anjali, Lavanya and my testimony. Our names weren't announced in the interviews to protect identities, but people knew I was Armaan's sister - so little did that do.

When we'd asked Anjali and Lavanya how they'd escaped, Anjali said Shyam left the room unlocked, probably thinking they'd be too scared of him to try and run. I had looked at Lavanya then, and something made me feel as if they were hiding something, but I didn't have anything other than gut feeling to doubt Anjali's story. Of how they'd found a moment to escape after they'd heard Shyam leaving.

The rest of the story, NK relayed to us that morning. That Shyam must have not seen the news and must have gone out without thinking anything of it. But then someone recognized him from the news they'd seen and had called in the tip. The police had reached at once to capture and arrest him. He had no fighting chance.

I wanted to think it was that simple, but why didn't it feel right? Even when all the dots were connecting in theory, why did it feel like a piece was still missing from this story?

I mustered up a smile and twisted in his hold. "I suppose it is." After a quick peck on his lips, I added. "I should get ready for my interview."

"Hmm, it's today." He said more to himself as if needing to remind himself of our conversation back in Shimla. I turned to leave, thinking he would drop his arms to his side on his own account. Only, he didn't, and I faced him with questioning eyes. "Do you really have to go?" He pouted.

A genuine laugh escaped my lips. I placed my hands by his collars. "Yes, ex-boss. Sorry."

"Well... what does your fiancé get in return?" A spark entered his eyes, warning me of the mischief that laid ahead.

I played along. "I suppose I would be willing to cook him a nice dinner for being so understanding and supportive."

His eyes crinkled with amusement. "Please, I do not fancy a burnt dinner."

I slapped his chest for having no confidence in my cooking skills. I was trying to be nice here! "No dinner for you tonight, mister. Watch us ladies and Aarav have all the delicious treats."

I huffed glancing away from his eyes, but he took me by surprise when his lips captured mine in a soft yet deep kiss. Stealing my breath and making my heart flip. His face remained close to mines as he whispered, his lips brushing mine and warm breath falling over. "I have all the treat I need right here."

I fought my instincts to melt right there and leaned back, "Aren't you a sweet talker."

He opened his eyes and lifted his brows as if to scold me for putting some distance between us. "You know, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you weren't attracted to me."