2.7 | A Package + Dance With Me

Posted on April 23rd, 2017 | Edited on October 9th, 2018

| . . . C H A P T E R - 2.7.1 : A - P A C K A G E. . . |

The next day at work, Aman explained. "I've chosen two of the five designs that I think should be used for the calendar. Now, it's on the big bosses to select one of the two. As such, Payal and Khushi, congratulations. You get to be designers today. Everyone else, keep trying at the next project you're assigned to."

Having heard my designs were one of the two, I tended to zone out and let him continue with his set of instructions. My job here as a designer was safe.

"...now, it doesn't matter which of the two sets will be picked to feature, both of you will work together on making the sketches happen in reality." He stopped for a second as if seeing I wasn't paying attention, and called me out. "Khushi, with us?"

"Hmm?" I shook out of my dreamland and smiled. "Yes. Yeah."

He shook his head as if to reprimand me and went on, "We'll know by lunch which one is selected. Until then, get to your desks and read through this file."

We nodded and left his cabin. A girl smiled at me offering me her hand, "Payal."

"Khushi." I smiled back

"I'm so excited! Come, let's go find our desks." She chirped taking my hand to drag me. I winced and pulled at our hands to stop her. "What's wrong?"

I nodded towards my leg, "A bit burnt. Kitchen accident last night."

She shook her head and admonished, "Should be more careful na."

I couldn't help but comment, "Are you always this nice to everyone?"

She winked, "Na, just to those who have such pretty smiles."

I grinned along with her and this time, she walked beside me keeping to my pace. There was relief. It wouldn't be so hard to work alongside her.

Her eyes fell on my engagement ring, "Oh wow. Look at the size of it!"

"Uh... it's just a ring."

She looked at me pointedly, "Just a ring? Khushi, look at the diamond! Look at how it shines. The fine cut. I can only imagine how expensive it must be. Besides, it's definitely not just a ring. It's your engagement ring!"

I stopped her scolding with a laugh, "Okay, okay! It's a ring. Happy?"

"Your fiancé must really love you."

"Sure," I answered half-heartedly because that was... debatable. Is love defined in how expensive the ring is?

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

Around 11 in the morning, we were called up to Arnav's cabin. In my heart, I wanted to curse at him. Why was he making me climb up the stairs when he knew my foot was burned? It took me forever to climb. Then again, I couldn't hold it against him for treated everyone similarly and not giving me any special treatment just because of what we had.

What do you have?

My mind chose to nag at me.

Once entering his cabin, I noticed everyone was already there. Aman, Lavanya, Arnav, and Payal. I quietly went and stood next to Payal as Lavanya and Aman were seated in the chairs before us.

Arnav pulled out one of the designs from the stack he had, "Who made this?"

Payal looked at me and I answered, "I did."