2.7.5 | Baby Steps + Well Planned Tactics

Posted on October 12th, 2018

| . . . C H A P T E R - 2.7.5 (1) : B A B Y - S T E P S. . . |

I saw Joe approaching Khushi from a distance and my first instinct was to stop him. I knew how uncomfortable Khushi would be. The only reason I hesitated was because... well, since our very first fight two years back when she'd asked me to stay away from her and even the last one the day of our engagement.

Then, I had to remind myself that it was in the past. Just yesterday, we had agreed to start over. It was just a new concept - I still have to remind myself again and again. Even so, had I not promised myself I'd always keep her safe? Even if safe from myself.

So, with a clear determination in my steps, I started marching towards the two. "Can I have a word with you?"

Joe tried to be charming, "Business can wait till later, ASR. Time to enjoy, remember?"

My eyes remained fixated on Khushi. There was clear indication in them that she did not want to dance with Joe. I wasn't going to let that happen then. I answered in a clipped tone, "Yes, business can wait, Joe, but her fiancé is waiting for her. Not much I can do here, can I?"

Her eyes widened at my insinuation and perhaps fearing that I'd reveal our personal relationship. That was my answer. I could not. Not that I wanted to. I knew her thoughts very well on how she would react to the two of us seen together in public. That was the start of ruin for us. I wasn't going to make the same mistake again and give her reason to be ashamed of being associated with me in public.

Armaan walked in just then to salvage the rest, "There you are, doll. Come, let's dance." He took her away, mouthing a thank you to me.

I smiled back though trying to hide the pain. As much as I wanted to take her away, have a quiet moment to ourselves, I knew she wouldn't approve of it right now. There was plenty I knew I had to tell her but I didn't know how to say it or where to start. And, the other fact is that this... dance.

Will there ever come a day for us where she will be comfortable around me enough for us to have that?

Having been lost in thoughts, I whirl to my right where my shoulder is tapped by someone coming up to me from behind. I found Lavanya there giving me a small smile before her eyes followed the direction I had been staring in.

She shook her head in disapproval, "I left you alone for one minute, Arnav, and you are back to being a Devdas."

I defended myself, "Hey, I am no drunk, heartbroken guy."

"But you are a heartbroken guy who occasionally tries to drink away his sorrows." She reworded the term - not that it helped make it sound any better or more approvable in her eyes.

When I didn't deem it necessary to answer as I couldn't counter her facts. I did try that a few times - drinking. I hated it, but I did try in hopes that my heart would stop aching and I could forget my regrets on how much I had hurt Khushi. But, ofcourse, drinking works only in short term. It's a distraction. Not a solution. And, it's beside the matter that I would always wake up feeling worse because it wouldn't take my sorrows away - only heightened them... allowed my control over my emotions to slip.

She took my hand and pulled me to the dance floor. "La, I'm not in the mood." I tried to fight it but she returned a sharp look.

"I don't get to go out much, Arnav, and so you are going to shut up, fix your mood, and put up with one dance for my sake - you know, given everything I do for you." She shamelessly ordered.