3.11 | Two Sides

Edited: July 31st, 2020 | Posted: 

| . . . C H A P T E R - 3 . 11 -  . . . T W O - S I D E S . . . |

Close to 8 in the night, Arnav and I finished cleaning the room. I went to wash my face and when I returned, Arnav was anxiously dialing a number and placing the phone to his ear. I asked, "Is she still not answering?" We had tried calling Lavanya half an hour ago to see if she and Aarav were ready for us to pick them up. She hadn't answered so Arnav had said he'd try later. He had even left a text message, but she hadn't responded to that either.

He muttered as he dialed her number again. "No. This is so not like her."

I offered to ease his worry. "Maybe it's on silent."

He shook his head, sure that his worry wasn't without a reason. "No, even at work she doesn't put her phone on silent."

"Okay, how about we just go over. She could just be somewhere in the house or taking a shower, you know?" I tried to play it cool but even I was slightly unnerved. The list of things that worried Arnav was very, very short. Seeing him like this, pacing, isn't something that I have ever known.

"Yeah." He reached for the car keys and wallet, but the crease on his forehead remained.

Thankfully, it was a quick 5-minute ride. Unfortunately, the second he parked the car in front of the building, he saw something that worried him further, causing him to tense. I reached to unbuckle the seatbelt when his hand stopped me. "Stay in the car."

"Arnav, but..." I tried to object, clueless as I followed his gaze to where it was stuck towards the right looking out my window. "What is it?"

"Just... I'll be back." He answered cryptically and stepped out of the car. I watched him rush into the building, taking the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator. I turned to glance at the car again.

Who did he think the car belonged too?

Being the person I am, never good at listening to orders, I opened the door. I was vaguely aware of how upset Arnav would be, but it still didn't stop me from waiting for the elevator and taking it to the sixth floor.

I heard Arnav's gritting voice as I neared the door to the apartment, "What have you done to her?"

There was a maniacal laughter before there was an answer from a voice that chilled my bones. "Why, Arnav? Ever so distrusting."

Vivek.

I should have stopped walking there itself, but like a person who is unable to stop from walking towards their doom as if in a nightmare, my feet involuntarily carried me forward. "Where is she? And Aarav, what...?"

He stopped talking when I stumbled against the door. At the sound, both turned their heads in my direction. There were mixed emotions reflecting on Arnav's face: fear and disappointment. Fear - for me, for Lavanya, for Aarav - and disappointment that I didn't listen to him for once.

As for me... I did not know what to feel. It was all overwhelming at first. No one would want to face their rapist under any circumstances. Yet, I knew it was going to happen.

I inhaled sharply, assuring my heart that Arnav was right beside me. Gathering the courage, I dared to step forward until I stood a foot ahead of Arnav, facing Vivek. Careful to not let my voice falter or give him the satisfaction of putting me off balance, I demanded an answer. "Where are they, Vivek?"

Instead of answering, he smirked. "Well, well, well. Look who we have here. I have to admit, I didn't think I'd be seeing you today. It's a treat..." He forwarded a hand and I leaned away. There was no way he was touching me again ever. Arnav flinched ahead, ready to engage in violence.