Chapter 52

They waited for another hour. Carole, Blaine, Burt, and Kurt arrived, having heard from Kurt who heard from Rachel, just as the nurse and a doctor came out to talk to them.

“I’m Dr. Stewart.” He said, shaking their hands.”Mr. Evans has in fact suffered from heat stroke, but he will be okay.” He said.”The symptoms of a heat stroke are;  headaches, dizziness and lightheadedness, lack of sweating despite the heat, red, hot, and dry skin, muscle weakness or cramps, nausea and vomiting, rapid heartbeat, which may be either strong or weak, rapid, shallow breathing, behavioral changes such as confusion, disorientation, or staggering, seizures, and unconsciousness. Mr. Evans heartbeat was was rapid, as was his breathing when we got him back there. You said that he told you he got dizzy after standing up and staggered a little, as well as throwing up on the way here, correct?” Mary nodded.”He is asleep as of now, and he began seizing almost immediately after we got him on the bed, and he’s stable now.”

“Oh god.” Rachel whispered, starting to cry again.

“He will be fine. He just needs to rest for a while. We’re gonna keep him for a couple of days for observation but he should be fine. We have him set up in his own room if you’d like to see him, but only if you are very quiet, as to not disturb him or other patients.”They all nodded and he took them to the room he was in. They had a fan blowing on him and a few cold, wet rags draped over his arms and chest.”That’s just to help get his body temperature down.” They nodded again and he walked out, shutting the door quietly. Mary went and stood by his head, moving his hair out of his face. She kissed his forehead.

“You are so stubborn, Sammy.” She whispered. She sat on one side of the bed, in a chair, and Rachel sat on the other side, holding one of his hands. The others sat in the other two chairs and on the couch.

“Did you get a babysitter for the twins?” Liz asked Carole. She nodded.

“Our babysitter was near our house when I called her so it wasn’t a problem, and as soon as she got there, we came up here.” She said. They all talked for a while, except for Rachel, who was quiet the entire time. Sam grunted and everyone looked at him. He lifted his arm and rubbed his eyes. The rag fell onto his shoulder and he made a face, picking it up and tossing it somewhere. Mary stood up where he could see her. He looked at her, his eyelids half open. He gave her a tiny smile.

“Sorry.” He mumbled. She rolled her eyes playfully.

“Don’t be, Sam. You’re stubborn as a mule.” He chuckled lowly.

“I know.” He waved his fingers at the others and looked at Rachel. She was looking down at the floor. He squeezed her hand.”Hey.” He whispered. She looked at him. Mary got the others attention and motioned for them to leave the room so they could have privacy. They left, telling Sam that they’d be back later.

“We’re gonna go eat and get you something for when you’re up to it, okay? We’ll be back in a little bit.” Mary kissed his forehead again. They left and Rachel asked,

“Do you want me to get the nurse?” He shook his head.

“Uh, how’ve you been?” He asked tiredly.

“It’s only been two weeks since we last spoke, not two years.”

“I know, but I still worried about you.”

“I’m the one that should be worried, you could’ve died.” She said.

“But I didn’t.” He said.

“It’s my fault you’re here.”

“How is it your fault?”

“You were outside and exercising because you were trying to get your mind off of what I did and you got too hot.”

“Did Blaine tell you that?” She nodded.”I was trying to get my mind off of a lot of stuff, Rachel. Not just you. I have a lot on my mind in general.” He said, squeezing her hand again. She didn’t say anything for a few minutes.

“I didn’t want to break up with you.” She said quietly. He bit his lip.

“Then why did you?”

“Because I was scared.”

“Scared of what?”

“Of this. Something happening to you.” She gestured to him in the hospital bed.

“Rach-”

“Just let me explain, Sam.” He nodded.”I wasn’t ever mad at you the day I broke up with you. I just needed an excuse to leave. I didn’t want to lie to you but I knew you would try and stop me. When Santana said what she did about me and Finn almost getting married when we were seniors just...struck a chord in my head. All these feelings I had when Finn and I were together came flooding back, and so did the feelings of when he died. I don’t want you to think I stopped loving you or never loved you, because I do love you. I love you more than anything else in this world, and I don’t want anything to happen to you. I always thought that Finn and I would get married and stay together forever. But when he died, that piece of me just faded away completely. I didn’t think I could ever love again. When she asked when we were getting married, I started thinking. I wouldn’t be able to handle it if we were supposed to get married and something happened and you were gone forever. I would die if you did. I don’t want history to repeat itself.” She said, somehow managing not to cry during that.”It’s hard not talking to you and being with you and seeing you. I regret breaking up with you so much it hurts. I know you probably hate me now but I just thought that I should get this off my chest.”

“And I’m happy you did.” He said, squeezing her hand again.”I’m happy that you told me. And I will never hate you. That’s literally impossible for me to do. I figured that you wanting to leave after Santana said that had to do with Finn, because to be honest, I did too. It hurt me that it hurt you when she said it. I understand that it’s hard for you, even after all this time. I just don’t want you to ever leave me like that again. I want you to tell me what’s on your mind, I don’t care what it is. Just don’t leave me again.” He said. She nodded.

“I won’t.” She stood up and leaned down to hug him. He hugged her back. She started to pull away but he gently grabbed her face and pulled her down to kiss him. She kissed him back, putting her hand on his cheek. He put his hand on the back of her hair, hardly able to see his fingers through it.

“Whoa-ho now!” Liz said, walking into the room. Rachel jumped back so fast, but Sam just laughed. She blushed. Sam blushed too, but his face was red enough as it is.”He’s hot enough as it is, Rach. No need to get him any hotter.” The couple looked at her like she was crazy, and Mary said, having heard what Liz said,

“Elizabeth!”